Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandmother felt that chicken soup was the cure all for everything wrong with the body, mind and soul. In fact, she felt that chicken soup could bring about world peace.

When I was a little boy my grandmother took me to a Broadway play. Around the second act, at a dramatic moment, the star of the show suddenly clutches his chest and drops to the floor. The entire house is hushed, and then the other actors quickly rush to the fallen man's side. As he lay on the stage, the audience suddenly realizes that this is not part of the play. A doctor rushes up onto the stage and starts to administer CPR. At this my grandmother shouts out "Give him some chicken soup!".

An ambulance arrives outside of the theatre, and an emergency crew rushes onto the stage to care for the fallen actor. Again my grandmother yells out "Give him some chicken soup!" Everyone starts to stare at my grandmother.

The emergency crew begins to place the ashen faced actor on to the stretcher, and again my grandmother yells out "Give him some chicken soup!".

The doctor who initially tended to the fallen actor steps off the stage and comes up to my grandmother. With anger in his eyes he says "Madam, this man may have just suffered a massive coronary. I can assure you that giving him chicken soup would do him no earthly good."

My grandmother, with kindness in her eyes, and with the conviction of one who came to America as a little girl after the Tzar's pogroms against the Jews, simply replied "It couldn't hurt."

So, on this cold Canadian night, let's all be grateful that we live somewhere in Canada, and let's all have a bowl of chicken soup. After all, it couldn't hurt. :D

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Agreed Dr. G! Especially if it has a bit of garlic in it. Chicken soup is a cure-all for almost any ill! When I am on an extended airplane flight, I ALWAYS order a Kosher meal.

It's better for you, no foolin! The old Jewish priests had something going for them, no sh*t. No sleepiness, no hangover and plenty of energy when you get there. I am a believer, fer sure!

Six hours on a crappy AirTransAt flight and then the usual hard-core interview with a Cuban soldier when you arrive. No probems as long as I'd had a Kosher meal beforehand.
I got hooked on the Kosher thing when I found out that milk products caused me some serious problems. Seventy per cent of the people on this planet have trouble digesting animal milk. And most of them don't know it. That's when I switched to Kosher meals when I was travelling.

I learned about this Jewish food thing a long time ago. It works. Honest.

Next time you're travelling, try it. And drink LOT'S of water. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macnutt, I am flying out to Calgary over Christmas with my wife and son to visit her family. I might just take you up on your advice. Still, no one made chicken soup like my grandmother. As well, her matzoh balls were to die for................her chopped liver was to live for..................... Such is Life.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Whoa..... please don't make pronouncements about the ill effects of dairy produce affecting 70% of people. While it is true that some people are lactose-intolerant, it's also true that most dietary problems are due to poor diets rather than one particular component. It is probably a good idea to order a Kosher (or any other special) meal on a airline (especially TransYuk) because of several reasons:

1. You get it first, when its most likely to be hot.
2. It's not so mass-produced
3. It's a change

Personally, I avoid eating while actually flying (unless I get upgraded). I hate being trapped by the tray for 60 minutes. Also see this site. Much better to just get drinks (and water is definitely good) and listen to iTunes or watch a DVD.

There's a web site that tracks food served on planes called AirlineMeals.Net. It's hilarious what gets served sometimes and Air Canada doesn't do well overall (although I prefer them to most US airlines). I've taken 72 flights to date this year (118,000 miles). Only one was memorable -a 747 had to return to Pearson cos the undercarriage wouldn't retract..... They weren't serving chicken soup.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used to be, the way my grandmother made her chicken soup there would have been plenty of chicken fat to grease the undercarriage of that jet you were on and glide it in to Pearson. I can still hear her say to me, in that heavily accented English/Yiddish -- "Nu?!? You're not eating??? Have another bowl of chicken soup. You'll feel better whatever hurts you." ("nu", pronounced "new", means "So?" or "Well?" in Yiddish, and is usually accompanied by a shrugging of the shoulders).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking of chicken soup, I got to thinking about my grandfather and how he would rescue me from the 7th bowl of chicken soup my grandmother would be serving to me at lunch. Once, he took me downtown to a local men's clothing store to buy me a suit (keep in mind that I grew up with little money, and was clothed in my cousin's hand-me-down clothes). When we got to the store, I wanted a blue pin stiped suit, but my grandfather chose a dull brown suit. When I protested, saying that I wanted the blue suit, he called out to the tailor in the store, "Abe, my grandsome don't vant the brown suit. Turn on the blue light and ve give him a blue suit."

Yes, my grandparents were a pair.

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Macdoc, on the 25th anniversary of Woodstock, the CBC Radio stations across Canada did a short piece on Canadians who attended. They couldn't find any Canadians here in St.John's, but I was a landed immigrant so they interviewed me. When I listened to the interview, I asked the person next to me, who knew me well, if that is how I sounded in real life. She said "Yes, exactly!" That is when I knew that I had lost some of my New York accent. You can still hear it when I say words such as dog, ball, talk, coffee, sauce, etc, but the flow of the phrasing has changed a bit. Too much peace and quiet here in St.John's, I guess. I actually don't miss the rush and stress of NYC, or any large city for that matter. I enjoyed my stay in Montreal a couple of weeks ago, and I shall enjoy my two week stay in Calgary over Christmas. But, I am glad to be here in St.John's. C'est la vie.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'Tis 11PM here in St.John's. My eyes grow weary, my mind wanders to thoughts of bowls of chicken soup in the past...........of a time when childhood innocence filled my day with thoughts of baseball cards and stickball (it's a NYC game).......................of a world in peace. Goodnight all. Sleep well.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words, Macnutt. I it good to be appreciated. If I am, as you say, "a treasure", then I am here to share the wealth of whatever wit and wisdom I might have picked up along the way in this Life.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Dr. G you are a real treasure to all of us. I cannot imagine not having you here! And I TOTALLY agree with you about the chicken soup, especially with all of the fat on top. It does wonders!

BTW-JWoodget.....more than seventy per cent of the humans on earth have trouble digesting animal milk, in any form, after the age of three. Most don't realise that they have this problem and continue to imbibe and suffer. They write it off as "twenty four hour flu" or a cold. Pretty much all of the asians of Chinese decent avoid milk products, a vast number of sub-saharan africans do as well, and many people of Indian decent also have problems with it.

Add that to the thirty or forty per cent of the people who are of Northern or Eastern European origin here in N. America who have trouble with dairy products and you will have more than seventy per cent of the people on this planet. Closer to eighty per cent....but who's really counting, anyway?

No other mammals except mankind consume milk products after the age of three years and NONE of them consume milk from another species. Especially into adulthood. Read the literature on this subject, and you will understand. Many of the ills that we think are part of modern life can be blamed on this particular dietary anomaly.

I have not been sick....or even felt sick, since 1984. Even when everyone around me was suffering from some form of the "flu". Even back in '84, when I had a "cold" it only lasted for two days and then I was back on my feet. And feeling GREAT!

Dump the animal milk in your diet....just like the ancient Jewish priests said...and you too can enjoy a life that is not cursed by regular sicknesses. Let your immune system work like it is supposed to, instead of having it influenced by massive amounts of hormones that are meant for baby cows....who have an immature immune system and really need the help. You do NOT!

Hey....it works for me.

:cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Whatever works for you macnutt, but reaction to milk is the least of our problems - if you ask me. I do know a bit about this as my wife is a dietician. I drink milk and eat cheese. BTW, there are about a thousand things that humans do that no other species does (including several hundred types of dietary behaviours). Kinda makes it difficult to blame any one behavour as being bad for us (or eliminate any of them). I don't think there is any evidence that a Kosher diet is associated with increased health either.

Let's agree to disagree on the benefits/problems with dairy produce.

Live life (my wife's registration plate - actually, its LVE LIFE so if can be live or love).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts