Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been using the Gimp Print printer drivers, and if so, are you finding them to be advantageous over the stock drivers?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey csonni,

We're using GIMP-Print on our 800mhz LCD iMac / DVD-R, printing to an Epson Stylus Photo EX (just outside Epson's window of planned OS X support).

It works fine, actually. We had horrendous problems with it, which turned out to be entirely due to a non-epson print cartridge. Luckily we managed to find a local wholesaler to give us a break on the cartridge prices... ;)

Setup was... well... so simple I don't even remember doing it now.

As for "advantageous"... well, given that we couldn't print to this thing from OS X before installing Gimp-print, I would say that's one mega big advantage!

The downside, of course, is that we can't use a native OS X utility to check the print head alignment, nozzle check, nozzle cleaning, etc. Have to reboot into OS 9 for that to work.

M.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I have an old HP Deskjet 870Cxi that I still use since it can be networked via localtalk. My localtalk network (the HP and a LW 4/600) is hooked up to ethernet using an Asantetalk bridge.
The laserwriter is supported in OS X, but I thought I was out of luck for the HP 870 until I heard about Gimp Print about a month ago. With Gimp Print I am now able to do basic printing to the HP 870 from any computer on the network.
Yeah, I know the HP 870 print quality isn't the greatest, but it sure is handy to be able to do a quick colour print from any computer on the network. That's something I can't do with my Epson C80 via USB.

·
Premium Member
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should have mentioned that my Canon printer prints fine from OSX without Gimp Print. Is there any reason I should install these drivers if it's printing fine without them?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csonni:
I guess I should have mentioned that my Canon printer prints fine from OSX without Gimp Print. Is there any reason I should install these drivers if it's printing fine without them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts