Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this informative article: Mac.Ars: Getting the perfect used Mac.
It's nice to quickly see which PowerMacs have AGP, etc. People should really read stuff like this before buying a used Mac. As a switcher I was too scared of my inexperience to buy used but after hanging around here I see it's a great choice. You do pay a certain non-recoverable premium when you buy new.
Stuff like this is good to know:
The earliest entry-level G4 desktops ("Yikes!") were actually based around the motherboard from the blue G3. That means no AGP slot and poor memory bandwidth, among other things.

G

·
It's an OK article... but why is a PC Enthusiasts web site posting an article on what used Mac to buy? Seems odd to me... That's also the exact same web site that likes to bash Apple every time they come out with something better than what the PC world has. Sorry, just my little rant... :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually in my experience they seem to like Apple although they are not crazy about it and most of them prefer Linux. Their readers are PC enthusiasts, which includes a lot of the Mac crowd, including some that own "the world's fastest PC".

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Ars actually offers some very insightful Mac article such as the article on the G5.. they actually got a few interviews with staff from the development team of the G5.. err.. PPC970..

Cheers,

RtC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts