Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But a few questions first.

I'm getting the asian model, the one with 3G video calling and wifi- i've taken the liberty to assume that it will work fine here since it supports the same frequencies as the standard blackjack.

secondly, how well can i make this phone work with my mac? will isync work with contacts? are there any good programs to make windows mobile a bit more compatible with os x?

finally, im looking for a decent high-data or unlimited data plan on rogers. vision seems fairly interesting, thoughts, suggestions, complaints?

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Syncing.. use Mark Space's The Missing Sync ( Mac-to-Mac Synchronization, OS X Sync for Palm OS, Windows Mobile 5, Smartphone, Pocket PC, BlackBerry & Sony PSP ).

Data plans... how much data are you planning to use exactly? Right now I find that the 5MB for $5 Navigate plan is more than sufficient for e-mail and the occasional surf to the mobile optimized FaceBook site, Rogers portal to mobile optimized anything sites, and Google Maps although I'll probably upgrade to the 10MB $10 plan when I move to my new place way out in the burbs and want to stay connected during that 75 minute train ride. Unless you're planning to do much more torhan that... I would say save your money... for $65 I would be expecting to get 500MB of data.

EDIT:
http://www.shoprogers.com/business/...sp?shopperID=ECJX0A2APNKM9JJ9RF77027WWAGC97EA

If you look there, it's a $5 addon to have 10MB a month of data usage (The Vision Mobile Internet Plan) that's an awesome price.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
BTW...

Google Maps

Google Maps for PalmOS or Windows Mobile, it'll give your phone or PDA the exact same capabilities as Google Maps for iPhone.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, if i add 5 bucks to my plan though i'd be paying the same as the rogers basic vision package, which has unlimited video calling for all 3 years and unlimited internet for 3 months.

Does anyone here use it?

PS thanks for the link! :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Shoot, i just realised that the i600 Blackjack (the model im looking at getting) is UMTS 2100, only, does anyone know the band that rogers uses?

EDIT: Damn, UMTS 1900 and 850. Ah well, that's a dealbreaker. I guess i'll just have to wait on a lovely 3G iphone.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Ummmm

SAMSUNG's Digital World - AT&T | SGH-I607

Lists the phone as quad-band 850/900/1800/1900.

In case you're unaware, HSDPA and UMTS is more or less the same thing. Rogers has deployed an HSDPA network in Toronto area so you will get blazing high speed internet if you live around there. I've seen people report speeds of up to 1.8Mbps or even 3.6Mbps on their Rogers HSDPA phones, smartphones, or connectivity cards. Telus' EVDO Rev A is at around 850kbps right now.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ummmm

SAMSUNG's Digital World - AT&T | SGH-I607

Lists the phone as quad-band 850/900/1800/1900.

In case you're unaware, HSDPA and UMTS is more or less the same thing. Rogers has deployed an HSDPA network in Toronto area so you will get blazing high speed internet if you live around there. I've seen people report speeds of up to 1.8Mbps or even 3.6Mbps on their Rogers HSDPA phones, smartphones, or connectivity cards. Telus' EVDO Rev A is at around 850kbps right now.

the i607 doesn't have video calling or wi-fi. Dealbreaker too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts