Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I had a number of issues with my old powerbook, so now that i had some time off, I called up Apple and with very little hastle on their part, they are replacing my PB. Maybe I should have waited till Leapord....i dunno, or when the new 17's come out... but who knows...anyways I ordered it.

My question, what is the most efficient way to back up my music and photos and e-mail? The rest are no problem, their just system folders that I can manage. But, photo's e-mail and music. How do I resolve this?

I have to send in my old machine before they send out the new one.

Also, the MBP has not been shipped yet. Now that i still have time, should I try to get or pay the difference to get the high resolution screen? Is it worth it?

I'm not sure about the difference between the regular widescreen and hi res.

Specifications of what is coming:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

Last question, anyone here running C&C Tiberian Wars on their MBP? How does it perform?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Congrats on the replacement! Yet another strong endorsement for AppleCare. A friend of min just had his ailing PB replaced with a MBP as well. :D

For Photos and Music -- I would just load up the OLD PB in Target Disk Mode (restart the computer and hold "T" after you here the chime) and connect it to your new MBP via FireWire and just drag the contents of the Old Photos and Music folders into the new folders on the MBP.

Then load up iTunes and iPhoto and things should just work. I've migrated a few computers this way with no issues.

The Mail thing I have no idea -- I don't use Apple's Mail.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Apple Mail stores it's data in:
Users »*"Your User" »*Library » Mail

You mail attachments are in:
Users »*"Your User" »*Library » Mail Downloads

Very cool about the MBP replacement by the way!

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I have to hand it to apple and apple care. What a great service, and they replaced it hastle free.

I've never heard of the Apple T Button before. Problem is, the new MBP won't ship until the PB is in the mail. They want it back..lol. Would that command work if I connect it to a an external HD? I'm trying to find one. I have a few days before I have to hand the PB back.

I went to the apple store and looked at the displays. I didn't like the high res. so am just taking the regular screen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.