Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. how goes?

i was wondering if anyone has advice for getting more hits to my website. i sell custom full colour stickers. i also graphic design. i guess i am looking for business directories that will include me for free, and ways to get my site into the search engines. i can actually be found by google, but its way down there unless you type in the exact name of my website... my site is www.stickerthing.com any comments or ideas would be much appreciated...

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Posting here probably helped a little, I know I followed the link and checked out your site.

I use a program called VSE Be Found
http://www.vse-online.com/

VSE Be Found - Attract more visitors to your home page
VSE Be Found is the award-winning web site promotion tool. It features a META tag manager, an URL submission tool, a ranking watcher and a link popularity checker in one easy to use application.

It guides you on what information to put and when you put too much and submits it to 100+ search engines. And guides you though submiting manually to others.

One problem is that it on runs on OS 9 (or Classic) but works fine in that environment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! i will totally try this out! i don't mind os 9 at all... in fact i am only running os x on one of my systems, just to keep up with the times...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Make better use of the < title > tag. In it, you should consider including (in addition to your business name) a _very_ short description of your product (i.e. "< title >stickerthing - custom stickers that sell< /title >"). You'll be surprised to see how a little change like this can improve your ranking on Google.

Another suggestion: you could always add it to your ehmac signature file. Had I not noticed your URL in your post, I'm not sure I would have ever known about your site.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I visited your site and here is a small advices: try to include some stickers on each pages of the site and name them 'sticker' + what it represent. This way, if someone does a picture search, they will find yours. Doesnt hurt to try...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, that makes sense... it sure doesnt hurt... i have had a few comments about sprucing things up with some more graphics... and i do get that picture thing search sort of... anyways, thanks for taking the time. your criticism is most welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I wish they would port VSE to OS X.

I run it a couple of times a month, just to re-submit and try and stay on top. They really walk you thru everything.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I wish they would port VSE to OS X.

It can take a couple of days for the search engines to get around to listing your site, some take a couple of weeks.

I run it a couple of times a month, just to re-submit and try and stay on top. They really walk you thru everything.

I am going to go run it now, come to think of it.

[ December 17, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Heart ]

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The best advice I can give you in regards to getting your site more traffic is to do the following

1) Get a drink and a snack and put them on your desk.
2) Get a comfy chair to sit in at your desk.
3) Go and read bruceclay.com. There is tonnes of info about search engines and search engine optimisation there, and it is all free.

--PB

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Well, since you're redo-ing the site anyway, I have one comment:

Proofread your webpage, and learn to use an apostrophe. (I count 3 missing ones on your mainpage.)

It's a pet peeve of mine. I write for a living. I'm not a particularly careful editor myself, but little errors like that grate on my eyes. It's no big deal in a casual forum like this -- but it's a different story on your professional site.

Good, clear writing is one of those things that people only notice if it's missing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you, i know i have to do better on the writing. i seriously whipped out the content for the site in like a half a day with no forethought. i will redo the entire thing hopefully over the xmas break. and ill make sure that the apostrophes don't get lost. again, thanks for the criticism!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts