Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.....this is bugging me....to delete anything via keyboard in finder I have to use TWO keys:

"comand + delete"

Besides installing and configuring Quicksilver, is there any other way to just tell finder to "move to trash" a file when it's highlighted and the delete key is pressed?

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
968 Posts
ok.....this is bugging me....to delete anything via keyboard in finder I have to use TWO keys:

"comand + delete"

Besides installing and configuring Quicksilver, is there any other way to just tell finder to "move to trash" a file when it's highlighted and the delete key is pressed?

Thanks,
B
I work on a technical help desk and I can't count how many times a user has deleted a file "by accident" doing this. Deleting files SHOULD be a two part operation to save people from themselves.

Having said that, if you still want to do it (really, command-delete is too hard?) I did some googling and couldn't find anything conclusive. Lots of stuff about manually editing the Keyboard bindings xml file, but nothing that would make delete actually delete. I think you might have to resort to something like Quicksilver. If you're a mouse user you can right-click and Move to Trash, but for pure keyboard driven deletion I think command-delete is your only option.

Sorry. :(

Trev

·
Registered
968 Posts
Found this:

Many Tricks · Butler

I have not used this, but by doing more googling someone recommended this app which will allow you to bind key sequences (like command-delete) to another key, like F5 or something.

Maybe worth a shot.

Good luck!

Trev

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
TrevX; being a windows hater I don't have one in front of me to verify but I assume you are in talking about windows? As I recall; and could be wrong, but when you delete a file in explorer it puts it in the recycling bin and isn't really deleted. To actually delete it on the spot goes a step further than Mac. You need to press shift + delete then clik yes to actually deletng the file.

I want one button delete in finder.

·
Registered
968 Posts
TrevX; being a windows hater I don't have one in front of me to verify but I assume you are in talking about windows? As I recall; and could be wrong, but when you delete a file in explorer it puts it in the recycling bin and isn't really deleted. To actually delete it on the spot goes a step further than Mac. You need to press shift + delete then clik yes to actually deletng the file.

I want one button delete in finder.
This is true. Windows will move it to the recycling bin. HOWEVER, if the recycling bin is full (it has its own allocated storage space) then files get deleted automatically. Wonderful stuff. XX)

And by the way, Windows users do not read dialog boxes. They have been conditioned not to.

As for one button delete in the Finder, try that Butler program I linked to above. I am sure you can rig it to issue two sets of commands one after the other. Have it do command-delete and then command-shift-delete.

Trev

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I had a nasty habit of emptying the trash as soon as I deleated something, until I trashed an entire photoshoot, learned that lesson the hard way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.