Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've spoke with three Rogers reps (two different stores, one on the phone) and they've all claimed the $50/month plan is the lowest they can offer. But I know a lot of people have said they have better plans. How could I try to work a better plan out of them?

Other details:
- I only have Rogers/Fido here (Manitoba), so I can't really use a competitor's prices
- I'm a new customer (I think this might be the biggest reason)
- The only thing I really want is ~100 mins., 500MB or 1GB data, text, and call display. I don't care about any other feature
- Call display is an extra $8 and I tried to get them to swap this in place of one of the other features I wouldn't use, but they "couldn't do it".
- I'd love to get everything down $45/month (plus taxes and the monthly fee), but even $50/month (ie: free call display) would be good

Any tips? I'm considering just going with the regular plan now and trying the "cancel" the plan after a couple months to see what kind of retention changes they can make.

·
I Heart Technology
93 Posts
Any tips? I'm considering just going with the regular plan now and trying the "cancel" the plan after a couple months to see what kind of retention changes they can make.
Unless you're buying an unlocked phone you aren't likely to see retention bonuses in my experience. They know they have you locked in as a customer!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is your contract expired?

I told them I was switching over to Telus for the iPhone 4 because there pricing was cheaper then i was currently paying ($80 a month....). So they gave me a new deal.

Which is the $50 deal myfave 5 deal nationwide, but they gave me a 5$ credit so I got 1 GB of did instead of 500 mb, as well as $10 credit which covers caller id, voice mail, unlimited text etc.

If your contract expired you can probably beat them down to what I got, but if not then your probably out of luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like this deal better:

Rogers/Fido $30 6GB Data Plan Returns

Effective July 30 2010, smartphone customers who activate on a three-year voice and data contract can choose the Rogers/Fido 6GB data plan for $30.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like this deal better:

Rogers/Fido $30 6GB Data Plan Returns

Effective July 30 2010, smartphone customers who activate on a three-year voice and data contract can choose the Rogers/Fido 6GB data plan for $30.
Nice! where did you get that info from?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Retentions offer from today:

500 Anytime
1000 LD
Unlimited Evening Weekend 5PM
Caller ID+ Voicemail
Unlimited SMS and MMS
6gb Data (today they set it to 1gb, tomorrow i switch it to 6 since its priced at 30)
Unlimited Network Calling (believe that includes fido!)
Unlimited Incoming

For 58.01+tax (55+GRRF of 3.01)

·
Registered
744 Posts

500 Anytime
1000 LD
Caller ID+ Voicemail
Unlimited SMS and MMS
6gb Data (today they set it to 1gb, tomorrow i switch it to 6 since its priced at 30)

Thanks for posting that! I am currently out of a contract so I want to talk to retentions to agree on a plan before I lock myself in for 3 years by buying a Rogers iPhone. I was thinking that I would wait until early next week to get that sorted out but it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem calling today to negotiate with them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for posting that! I am currently out of a contract so I want to talk to retentions to agree on a plan before I lock myself in for 3 years by buying a Rogers iPhone. I was thinking that I would wait until early next week to get that sorted out but it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem calling today to negotiate with them.
If you are wanting to get the 6GB plan, make sure they do not give you a joint voice+data plan with 500mb and double data of 1gb. they need to be seperate to get 6gb. just tell the csr you plan to upgrade to 6gb tomorrow, so place it at 1gb today.

·
Registered
162 Posts

500 Anytime
1000 LD
Caller ID+ Voicemail
Unlimited SMS and MMS
Unlimited Incoming

Did you order an iphone 4 at the same time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you're buying an unlocked phone you aren't likely to see retention bonuses in my experience. They know they have you locked in as a customer!
That's what I figured.

I didn't know the $30/6GB plan was official though. That's really good to know. :)

·
I Heart Technology
93 Posts
This thread motivated me to call in to see if there were any better plans I could get on. I got straight through to customer service (I love that I rarely have to wait for Rogers) and the agent was able to double my long distance and save me $20. I have free incoming calls so can't monkey around with my base plan without losing that, but was really happy with the service.

·
Registered
254 Posts

500 Anytime
1000 LD
Caller ID+ Voicemail
Unlimited SMS and MMS
Unlimited Incoming

This is a very good plan. My 3 years contract still have one year to go. What's the chance of asking Rogers for this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is a very good plan. My 3 years contract still have one year to go. What's the chance of asking Rogers for this?
Asking to mimic another plan usually yields bad results. Just tell them what you need and what you are willing to pay.

Mention bell and wind mobile if applicable in your area.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd like to try and get a better plan through retentions, but I'm assuming that this means I can't go out and upgrade to an iPhone 4 tomorrow. If I do, I'll be locked into another 3 year contract and so there will be little reason for Rogers to reduce my costs. And I read that there won't be any online sales at first, so unless anyone else has some ideas, I guess I'll have to wait a bit, and then try and get an iPhone 4 along with a better plan through retentions.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would call today and see what you get. If it's great, then buy tomorrow, if not then hold off.
I see - you mean getting a better deal now won't change the status of my contract, and so I can still get the upgrade to the iPhone 4 tomorrow and maintain exactly the same plan, except locked in for another 3 years? Good idea - thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts