ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering is I could share an internet connection between a geoport connection I have a cable that is male geoport to male geoport I was wondering if I could share my internet conection from my performa LC575 whichwill be ethernet compatible in the next 2 weeks runs mac os 8.1 to my possible purchase Power Macintosh 6400/200 though geoport so basicly want to she my internet connection also can I share files though geoport and how do I do both

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Don't go that route

I was wondering is I could share an internet connection between a geoport connection I have a cable that is male geoport to male geoport I was wondering if I could share my internet conection from my performa LC575 whichwill be ethernet compatible in the next 2 weeks runs mac os 8.1 to my possible purchase Power Macintosh 6400/200 though geoport so basicly want to she my internet connection also can I share files though geoport and how do I do both

Get a router. Netgear routers support appletalk and tcp/ip and are pretty cheap. Then to go to System7Today.com and do all of the updates that they suggest on both systems. Most of their system 7 upgrades are actually good right through to system 9.0 for Power PC machines.

On both machines enable file sharing, set appletalk to go out through the ethernet port, set tcp/ip to go out through the ethernet port using DHCP (dynamic Host control) and make sure that each machine has a network identity and a shared folder.

Going into Chooser, you should then be able to select Appleshare and the other machine should pop up in the dialogue box on the right. That lets you share files.

On 8.1 you are limited on your browsers, but there are versions of Netscape, internet explorer, icab and Opera that should work. Also look for Wannabe which is a lightning fast text only browser. You cruise in Wannabe and then download graphics and display them in Quicktime Player.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
There is no such thing as geoport sharing. It's called Appletalk and it's sloooooow.

You have appletalk on the mini din ports on the LC 575 so you could appletalk your two old Macs together using suitable cables. But the best way is to get a comm slot or LC PDS ethernet card at which point you can just use any ethernet based router as Lichensw suggests. On the 6400 you have built in ethernet.

Once you have ethernet set up you can network your two macs and share an internet connection via a router.

K

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no such thing as geoport sharing. It's called Appletalk and it's sloooooow.

You have appletalk on the mini din ports on the LC 575 so you could appletalk your two old Macs together using suitable cables. But the best way is to get a comm slot or LC PDS ethernet card at which point you can just use any ethernet based router as Lichensw suggests. On the 6400 you have built in ethernet.

Once you have ethernet set up you can network your two macs and share an internet connection via a router.

K
so I cant just plug the cable in one mac and the other end in the other mac or is that appletalk even if its slow I dont care and by geo port I think ment mini din ports the one with 8 pins if I can just plug the cables ends in the macs what do I do software wise

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
You don't need any software

so I cant just plug the cable in one mac and the other end in the other mac or is that appletalk even if its slow I dont care and by geo port I think ment mini din ports the one with 8 pins if I can just plug the cables ends in the macs what do I do software wise
You need the ethernet card for the 575 - which is coming.

You need a router.

I am assuming you already have a cable or DSL modem and an Internet Service Provider.

You need your 6100.

You need some ethernet cables.

You need someone to set up your router.

All just like any other home network...

Then you do the things I said earlier and it will all work.

With the system software, you already have all the software you need.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
You would need a serial printer cable or a pair of PhoneNet connectors.

Personally you should WAIT and go with Lichensw's recommendations otherwise you'll be back on here in a day or two with more questions to things that will be fixed when you get your ethernet network running.

K

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would need a serial printer cable or a pair of PhoneNet connectors.

Personally you should WAIT and go with Lichensw's recommendations otherwise you'll be back on here in a day or two with more questions to things that will be fixed when you get your ethernet network running.

K
I think I want to go serial printer just because I bet I have all the material so it wont cost me a cent or any downtime waiting for shipingnow I only see two possible printer ports on my lc575 This one and this one I have cables for both and as far as I know th 6400/200 does too

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I think I want to go serial printer just because I bet I have all the material so it wont cost me a cent or any downtime waiting for shipingnow I only see two possible printer ports on my lc575 This one and this one I have cables for both and as far as I know th 6400/200 does too
Think what you need to do is google up a manual for both Macs. This will give you information on how to do it with pictures so it will be a lot easier to understand.

Look here, setting up appletalk - Google Search

All you require is a Mac printer cable which is mini din to mini din or a pair of PhoneNet connectors and plug into your phone outlets.

That second photo is of the back end of a PC nothing to do with the 6400 btw.

K

·
Registered
535 Posts
Apple still has LocalTalk bridge available for download.
LocalTalk Bridge 2.1 Document and Software
It allows the Mac with Ethernet and serial ports to be a bridge for both types of wiring. You'll be able to share files and printers. It won't allow Internet (ie TCP/IP) traffic through the serial port, however, so an ancient Mac without an Ethernet port will not be able to surf the internet.

This page:

LocalTalk-to-Ethernet bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lists the devices that do allow TCP/IP traffic over the serial cable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apple still has LocalTalk bridge available for download.
LocalTalk Bridge 2.1 Document and Software
It allows the Mac with Ethernet and serial ports to be a bridge for both types of wiring. You'll be able to share files and printers. It won't allow Internet (ie TCP/IP) traffic through the serial port, however, so an ancient Mac without an Ethernet port will not be able to surf the internet.

This page:

LocalTalk-to-Ethernet bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lists the devices that do allow TCP/IP traffic over the serial cable.
so there is no way to share internet through serial if thats the case does the Power mac 6400/200 take standard PCI ethernet cards

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
6400 has PCI slots

so there is no way to share internet through serial if thats the case does the Power mac 6400/200 take standard PCI ethernet cards
The 6400 has 2 PCI slots, so it could take and ethernet card. There is no ethernet built in. You need to find one for which there are drivers AKA extensions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it

I got it is actualy realy impressive it have AV in and out max ram the one thing I am realy angery at my self is my Macintosh to VGA adapter died and even worse I hucked my old Power mac when the adapter was fried I know the new one works he booted it up right in front of me but this has pushed me to go to one of the vintage apple stores I shop at to buy a new adapter and get an apple ethernet card

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
FYI to others, AppleTalk is NOT slow. LocalTalk is slow (230kbps, to be exact). AppleTalk is a protocol, not a medium. EtherTalk (AppleTalk over Ethernet) is plenty fast. AppleTalk over FDDI (FDDITalk, it's fun to pronounce it "fuddytalk"), is even faster.

To share Internet, the best thing is to find an ethernet card for the Performa 6400 and get a cheap router. MacOS 8 does not have NAT software built-in. You'd end having to buy IPNetRouter (Sustainable Softworks - IPNetRouter - Internet Sharing - Software Router) or Vicom Internet Gateway (not sure where to get it). Then your 6400 would connect using PPP to the 575. This is assuming the software has a PPP daemon. I know Vicom Internet Gateway had one, but I'm not sure about IPNetRouter - they may have a demo you can try out.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
FYI to others, AppleTalk is NOT slow. LocalTalk is slow (230kbps, to be exact). AppleTalk is a protocol, not a medium. EtherTalk (AppleTalk over Ethernet) is plenty fast. AppleTalk over FDDI (FDDITalk, it's fun to pronounce it "fuddytalk"), is even faster.

To share Internet, the best thing is to find an ethernet card for the Performa 6400 and get a cheap router. MacOS 8 does not have NAT software built-in. You'd end having to buy IPNetRouter (Sustainable Softworks - IPNetRouter - Internet Sharing - Software Router) or Vicom Internet Gateway (not sure where to get it). Then your 6400 would connect using PPP to the 575. This is assuming the software has a PPP daemon. I know Vicom Internet Gateway had one, but I'm not sure about IPNetRouter - they may have a demo you can try out.
Good point, guess I always called LocalTalk AppleTalk but technically you are right.

Re 6400 ethernet cards, be careful which comm slot ethernet card you wind up with because there are different but similar looking versions used in the Quadra 630, 6200, 6300, 5200, and 5300 called Comm Slot 1 cards.

The 6400 uses Comm Slot 2 cards, welovemacs.com used to carry these.

Better info is here, Power Macintosh G3: Ethernet/Comm Slot Support

K

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Speaking of cheap routers, was in the Goodwill today and they had a Bell modem and Linksys 4 port router used for $9.

K

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point, guess I always called LocalTalk AppleTalk but technically you are right.

Re 6400 ethernet cards, be careful which comm slot ethernet card you wind up with because there are different but similar looking versions used in the Quadra 630, 6200, 6300, 5200, and 5300 called Comm Slot 1 cards.

The 6400 uses Comm Slot 2 cards, welovemacs.com used to carry these.

Better info is here, Power Macintosh G3: Ethernet/Comm Slot Support

K
It's actually PCI and I have a dlink router now the wierd thing is tiger that's pluged into the same router sees the performa it won't connect but it sees it

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
go the other way

It's actually PCI and I have a dlink router now the wierd thing is tiger that's pluged into the same router sees the performa it won't connect but it sees it
Your performa will connect to Tiger.

I am not sure what operating system you have to be up to to connect. I have a StarMax on 8.6 and it will not connect to Tiger. I think one of my OS 9 machines will.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got today a AsanteTalk ethernet to local talk bridge and I am wondering what does it do I just got it because it was 4 $ in the origanal box all manuals but it did not have the origanal power supley it was a 3rd party replacement

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
It connects hardwar old to new hardware

I just got today a AsanteTalk ethernet to local talk bridge and I am wondering what does it do I just got it because it was 4 $ in the origanal box all manuals but it did not have the origanal power supley it was a 3rd party replacement
This will connect a Localtalk network to an Ethernet network. I was using one to put a LaserWriter printer on line. If you had say a LaserWriter and a IIci without ethernet, you could bring them into your network using this device.

I found it quite finnicky to configure. It has to be the last thing that powers up inthe system. IE start the printer, the IICi, your ethernet router and wait for them to come up, then plug in the AsanteTalk. IF you lose power, you have to go through the excersize again.

I am using a piece of software called LocalTalk Bridge on an old Starmax to do the same thing now. The Starmax powers up at 8:00 in the morning and when I go down to the office, my old LaserWriter is on line. At 5:00 the Starmax powers down. this has been much more stable.

Do not think that it will replace an ethernet card. Localtalk is slow. Back in the days of FileMaker Pro 6 and below, I had occasion todo some programming for deployment over a WAN. I used a LocalTalk network to model WAN behaviour in my office/workshop/lab. It mirrored WAN behaviour quite well.

Also on my previous post, just to be clear - Classic talks to Tiger via Chooser. Tiger will not always talk to Classic. Also at the site System 7 Today

There updates to the Classic system that have been really well thought out. They claim to be upgrading system 7.6.1 or system 7.5, but I have found most of the system updates are good right up to 9.0.4. There is also a tutoria for connecting to OS X - I believe leopard in this case. So there are places to get some hints on interoperability between old and new system. I was even able to set up printing from a classic machine through to a Cannon USB printer running on a Tiger machine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts