1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Great news. GoW is an intense and fun game and the computer versions are supposed to have more levels than the 360 version had.

Can't wait for UT3, but that will go on my Vista box. I'll take the mouse/keyboard over a 360 controller any day (although Shadowrun has worked out pretty well on the 360).

By iBook would melt if a brought a UT3 disc anywhere near it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i can't imagine how this will work without LIVE ...

the multi player (the best part) will likely end up getting stripped down. although on the plus side, this might have the unintended benefit of eliminating the famous host advantage that has made Gears almost unplayable on the 360.

·
Registered
534 Posts

the multi player (the best part) will likely end up getting stripped down. although on the plus side, this might have the unintended benefit of eliminating the famous host advantage that has made Gears almost unplayable on the 360.
I have been playing games like GoW online for more than ten years. There are lots of free match making services that are just as good as Live. The real magic of Live is getting folks to pay for something that should be free. That is especially true of UT3.

Coop is only necessary for Insane difficulty in GoW. Even with Live, it is still a pain in the butt to find a partner.

I think the Mac version will be fine without Live - and that they will sacrifice nothing more than a logo on the box.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great news. GoW is an intense and fun game and the computer versions are supposed to have more levels than the 360 version had.

Can't wait for UT3, but that will go on my Vista box. I'll take the mouse/keyboard over a 360 controller any day (although Shadowrun has worked out pretty well on the 360).

By iBook would melt if a brought a UT3 disc anywhere near it. :)
I think I am going to go PS3 for this one. I will have a couple of months practice as an advantage - better watch out! beejacon

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
AWESOME! Gears of War is awesome and I still play Unreal 2004 to this day patiently waiting for the next one to come.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I have been playing games like GoW online for more than ten years. There are lots of free match making services that are just as good as Live. The real magic of Live is getting folks to pay for something that should be free. That is especially true of UT3.

Coop is only necessary for Insane difficulty in GoW. Even with Live, it is still a pain in the butt to find a partner.

I think the Mac version will be fine without Live - and that they will sacrifice nothing more than a logo on the box.
such as? i want to do a feature comparison.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is sweet. Gears was the only game in many, many years that enthralled me from start to finish. Get your Mac Pros ready because GoW isn't going to play well on any graphics card below 7900GS. The 360's GPU is essentially a 7800GTX, which is still quite powerful, but on a computer, most will want to run the game above 720p resolution.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

GoW is based on the UT3 engine, so it's likely GoW for the PC and Mac will NOT use Live, but use the UT3 server finder and chat (I assume Live does the server finder and chat stuff, which UT has done for years).

Some of these console players seem to forget that gaming existed before consoles.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
GoW is based on the UT3 engine, so it's likely GoW for the PC and Mac will NOT use Live,
not so. GoW will use the Windows version of LIVE, and will permit 360 owners and PC gamers to play against each other.

the mac version will not have LIVE, so therefore there will be a very small pool of players, which is what i was driving at in my original post. mac users will not be able to play against 360 owners or PC users.

source: Gears of War for Windows

“Gears of War” will tap into the power of Games for Windows — LIVE to deliver online matchmaking for its Gold account members. The service will enable gamers around the world to connect via their PCs, allowing players to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player Achievements, customize games and create personalized profiles."

Some of these console players seem to forget that gaming existed before consoles.
some of these players seem to forget that the people they meet online may have been gaming for just as long, if not longer, than they have.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
not so. GoW will use the Windows version of LIVE, and will permit 360 owners and PC gamers to play against each other.

the mac version will not have LIVE, so therefore there will be a very small pool of players, which is what i was driving at in my original post. mac users will not be able to play against 360 owners or PC users.

source: Gears of War for Windows

“Gears of War” will tap into the power of Games for Windows — LIVE to deliver online matchmaking for its Gold account members. The service will enable gamers around the world to connect via their PCs, allowing players to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player Achievements, customize games and create personalized profiles."

Okay, that's interesting. Didn't know there was a windows version of Live. I guess Micro$oft is hurting for money after their Xbox 360 fiasco and their Zune went down the toilet, so now Epic's helping them out. I have to agree with lewdvig that why you'd want to pay for something that's free is beyond me? Now we're going to be tied into buying Live subscriptions?

I hope UT3 doesn't use Live.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
There are a few PC games which use LIVE already.

I love my XBox 360 personally but don't have enough time at home to play it, these games will help me kill time on my 75 minute long commuter train ride.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
MS has said that it will be available by the end of the year but Epic has said nothing about a date for the Mac version.

The LIVE version for windows is free BTW you only pay if you have a 360 (like I do) and I must say that Gears is a great game but did not have the staying power like Halo did because of the match making system.

·
Registered
534 Posts
such as? i want to do a feature comparison.
Gamespy, XFire et all... decade old tech that works just as good. Live is nothing special other than the notion of one ID for every game... which Xfire does.

There are Mac services, but I do almost zero online gaming on Mac so I don't know how many people use them.

So your point was that there would be fwer people online on teh Mac versions? OK, I agree with that. The tech itself is nothing special though (which was my point and counter to what I thought you were saying).

The best news is that with the crappy old PowerPC platform behind us we will not suffer the kind of bottlenecks that made gaming on mac so painful during the G4 era.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The best news is that with the crappy old PowerPC platform behind us we will not suffer the kind of bottlenecks that made gaming on mac so painful during the G4 era.
My G5 Dual is offended by that remark, and it farts in your general direction!

;)

:lmao:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The LIVE version for windows is free BTW you only pay if you have a 360 (like I do)
Yeah, I have an Xbox 360, but I haven't paid for Live Gold, yet, as summer is here and I don't see playing too much. Plus I'm not sure if I'll play more on my Mac or Xbox. Good to here the Windows Live version is free, though.

The question still arises, though, what Epic is going to do with Multiplayer? I can't see them doing anything half-assed like Mac vs Mac Multiplayer. I would imagine they'd have Mac vs PC Multiplayer at least. Unless, the PC version can have the option to NOT use live. Ie. You have one option to use Live, and another to use whatever UT3 normally uses. This would allow PC/Mac users to create their own servers and play PC/Mac to PC/Mac.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.