Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
I recently bought iLife '06 and have been trying to install it on my iBook G4. My iBook doesn't have a DVD drive, so I copied the entire ilife06.mpkg to a external hard drive and have been trying to install it from there.
Everything installs except GarageBand (and iDVD).
When I go to try to install the program , it says that there was an error in the installation, and when I try to install it just the GarageBand application from the garageband.pkg it says that I can't install it on this computer!
Im running a 1GHZ G4 iBook with 512MB of Ram and 10.3.9 , so i thought that that my iBook would be ok running it .
Thanks

dave

·
Registered
639 Posts
How does your iBook G4 not have a DVD drive? I thought all of them came with super drives or combo drives?

Oops, I see you're running a 1Ghz. ****ty. I would recommend making a .dmg from the disc onto the external drive, and them open the disc image on your mac.

If you're using a PC, try making an .iso of the disc instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea , it is ****ty not having a DVD drive. Thanks for the link vexel, but I did check that out, and that is where I got the idea to use an external HD. I tried it with my external 250GB one and then again with my iPod. Its frustrating because my iBook will install everything else from iLife 06 , but when it gets to Garageband, it says that I can't use it with this computer!
Anyone else have a problem similar to this?

Thanks again

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yea , it is ****ty not having a DVD drive. Thanks for the link vexel, but I did check that out, and that is where I got the idea to use an external HD. I tried it with my external 250GB one and then again with my iPod. Its frustrating because my iBook will install everything else from iLife 06 , but when it gets to Garageband, it says that I can't use it with this computer!
Anyone else have a problem similar to this?
Have you ever heard of a program called Pacifist? Try it, it will allow you to extract and install it to your harddrive even if your hardware is "unsupported". I was able to install it on my duaghter's iMac G3 400Mhz machine, but was unablle to run it until I transplanted the HD into a used G4 450 that was given to me when the machines at work were upgraded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.