Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I picked up a Griffin iMic yesterday to use with my g4 iBook, garageband and my fender strat...

Here is my somewhat quick review...

Plugged in iMic.. booted up GB,...
Instantly recognized.. now when I add a new track "real instrument is an option"
plugged in my guitar to the iMic with a radioshack 1/8" adapter....

Tried first amp.. horrible...
sounded like crap... static,, everywhere....
Although I was expecting this.. did some playing around and suddenly it began to work...

It started to sound really cool...
Although,, the latency was really off.. hit a note and heard it about a 1/2 second later...

Anyways,, here is what happened..
i left the room for a bit and came back where GB and everything was where I left it.. Picked up the guitar and it was working....No Latency that I could notice with my human ears...

it was if it had warmed up or something or allocated enough processor speed. i have no clue...

Anyways.. day two..
same thing,, latency horrible and static noise horrible.. but after justr strumming away a few minutes,, sitting around it all came together again and it working perfectly..

I am pretty happy thus far,, I have not recorded anything and don't plan to yet...
What I have found the most fun the past two days.. is putting together a little composition... whether it be 20 seconds of jazz piano or drums,, or a 20 bass line,, looping it and just soloing over it...

This program is exactly what John Mayer said, the ultimate training tool... Kinds will be able to just pick any key,, put in a bass line over some drums and just jam and solo for hours and hours on end...

anyways,, all in all good purchase,, no able to enjoy GarageBand.....

AS A SIDE NOTE...
The Apple Store in Detroit, had the m-audio 49 keyboards hooked up... I have some thoughts on this as well..
I was playing them in the store with a 20" iMac..
The keyboard looks great but you do really have to hit the keys to get a sound,, even though they hype the velocity sensitive, touching lightly doesnt produce any sound..
But,, it is SO cool and SO much fun...
The price is what makes this so attractive..

So I decided to buy one but then... the Apple Store Rep said they were sold out and he stressed they were getting these in daily shipments and they would sell out within minutes.....

He said it is amazing how many of these are selling like hotcakes...

After being able to actually play with it, touch it, look at it.. I will buy one.. the had the more expensive edirol pianos there too but whats the point.. spend less and have fun...

Peace

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah... funny you should say that about the latency issue. I'm getting the same thing...

Perhaps it's a bug or something? I mean, it's the ONLY app I have loaded and I have 1GB of RAM!!

Hmmm... I tried jamming over tracks and I get the same issue. If I add a few tracks of drums and bass, I end up not being able to jam in time with the music, so all I do now is play the music seperately to the metronome and re-adjust them later... It's a pain in the ass though...

I have a dual processor G4/867 - anyone know if Garageband makes effective use of the second processor? Maybe a dual processor patch will somehow work it's way out at some point?

I mean, it seems to me as though it's a processor speed thang (and I'm sure MacDoc will surely pounce on us concerning this very issue)... :D
...but latency on six tracks of software instruments - I mean COME ON!...

Maybe if I optimized my drive?

Man, I don't know... Anyone got any pointers?

I know there's a performance-biased setting in prefs. Maybe I should try that?

:confused:

·
Registered
282 Posts
BTW: Here's a bunch of tricks that Apple has posted to improve performance of Garageband:

---------------------------------------------
TOPIC

Learn how to avoid performance issues in GarageBand.

DISCUSSION

When GarageBand cannot read or write data fast enough to keep up with the playing song, you may see one of the following messages:

"System Overload"

"The hard disk is not fast enough to deliver all audio data in time. Try muting some tracks."

"Disk is too slow."

Here are some tips to help avoid these performance issues:

> FileVault can cause reading data from your home directory to be significantly slower. If you wish to leave FileVault on, be sure to keep your songs outside of your home directory. FileVault options are available in Security preferences.

> Quit other open applications.

> Optimize for Better Performance.

> From the GarageBand menu, choose Preferences.

> Click the Audio/MIDI button.

> In the "Optimize for" section, click "Better performance" to select that option.

> Depending on the speed of your computer's microprocessor and the speed of your hard drive, you may have too many tracks in your song. Try deleting or combining tracks where possible.

> Choose fewer tracks and fewer voices per instrument.

> From the GarageBand menu, choose Preferences.

> Click the Advanced button.

> From both the Real Instrument Tracks and Software Instrument Tracks pop-up menus, choose lower settings.

> From the Voices per instrument pop-up menu, choose a lower setting .

> Don't open a song directly from a CD or DVD. Copy it to the hard disk first.

> Quit and reopen GarageBand.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, but my latency issue goes away after a while..
and it works perfect...
altouygh as I said, i havent done any serios multi track stuff yet....

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
We're just about 2/3 of the way through testing various machines and configurations for GB and as with earlier music apps cache is king.
The DP 500s with a good video card are the value leaders far and away right now.
Our tester said it's very obvious.

There was a real demand for the Powerbook G4s with the 500/1 meg cache a while back for similar reasons.
Bernie said the 500DP easily outgunned a single 1 gHz MDD unit despite the much faster RAM and bus speed.

BTW these were all tested with the same amount of RAM and video card and the same drive moved from machine to machine to keep thing consistent.

We are trying the G3s and a DP 1.25 MDD currently. G5s if and when we get a model update.

I expect his full report this week. Stay tuned. Email with any current questions. :cool:

BTW our keyboards arrived. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
yea the 1 meg l3 cache makes the world of difference, especially for reverb plugs in,

i have a tibook 867 which has 1 meg l3 cache and 768mb of ram, and benchmarked it against an aluminum book 1ghz machine with 1 gig of ram and the tibook 867 outperformed it on almost every aspect in terms of audio performance, running 4 more platinum verbs in logic platinum then the aluminum book could pull...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts