Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many new and current competing mp3 players are able to playback their support formats gapless, however, the iPod still remains back in the 20th century. Apple can fix this by updating the software on the iPod, but they have not done so.

Anyone who listens to continuous mixes whether they be DJ mixes, classical, etc. should send Apple feedback requesting such an update.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That is a workaround that strips the ability to jump from track to track. Not much of a solution for me for that I have a few thousand CDs that are continuous mixes. I should not have to sit there and join all my tracks together - it defeats the purpose and takes away usability.

Like I said, other players currently offer such capabilities but unfortunately, Apple is taking for granted their current market share. Additionally, I'm sure many out there would also like to have ogg support, but seeing that Apple is transfixed on AAC, I doubt it will happen.

What is strange is that AIFF files even have gaps when played back on the iPod (but not so in iTunes). I don't understand why that has to be. With mp3 files, there are headers and footers which explains why older players do not have gapless play. AIFF files don't have headers and footers like mp3 files. Arrrgh!!! I put up with the gaps because I generally only use my iPod for convenience - like on flights. My preferred medium is still CD.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
It was bothering me quite a bit as well, but now I play it on shuffle all the time. What I don't like it the delay (sometimes as much as 5-6 secs) between songs when the hd has to spin up to read the next few songs...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well... the real reason is that the MPEG 1 Audio Layer 3 format requires alignment of the last block of data. That means (for example) that if the last block of data has only one second of music in it, but the block is two seconds 'wide' the last second is empty.

I think Apple did the right thing by having iTunes join tracks.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts