ehMac banner

What would you give Apple's refurbished product out of 10, 10 being good 1 being bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am getting into a sensitive topic but need some guidance and wisdom from everyone in the forum. I am going to be selling my gaming desktop that I built and swapping for a Mac pro 2.8 GHz quad stock config I am just wondering if anyone has experience gaming on a Mac pro. I know it will most likely better than what I have with the hyper threading, faster RAM and ATI 5770 but I was doing research and read that Xeons are bad for gaming I do like to play the latest and greatest games and make them look pretty by cranking the quality and anti-aliasing but I am wondering would it be worth while getting the 27’ iMac. I am fine gaming in boot camp and having to restart but are there any problems with gaming in boot camp errors slow direct x problems any one game on a consistent basis on a Mac. I am not solely using this for gaming just wanted to make sure I am not trading down I will also be editing and rendering ri-res movies just family stuff and maybe some photo editing and maybe some CS5. Also has anyone had problems buying from apples refurb section don’t want a lemon and will probably buy apple care just want to check is it’s a obvious no no.

I just figured out how to do a poll:):):)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since you want it for the latest and greatest games I'd stick with a windows computer for that. You will probably have less compatibility issues with it and it's cheaper and easier to upgrade then a mac is.

A lot of people around here seem to like buying from the refurb store and are happy, so if that is the route you want to go I wouldn't be worried about it. They come with the same warrenty as new macs do so if it does have problems you're covered anyway.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
The MP you are looking at will be great for games made for a Mac...

If you want to play PC games then boot camp is the only real alternative as for 3D games virtualization, i.e. Parallels or Fusion, just doesn't cut it. With the right drivers in boot camp and the the 5770 and plenty of RAM you should be able to play just about any PC game, albeit not at the level of pro gamers on a PC with two or more SLI graphics cards. However, if this is a concern for you then you should definitely be looking at a dedicated PC gaming rig.

The other option, if gaming is a major concern for you, is to buy a gaming console as there are more titles these days for gaming consoles than for PC gaming.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
With a few experiences under my belt (my last two laptops, a used G4 Mini which was a refurb, and a Mini Server) I have to say it's been excellent. I probably won't buy another Mac that isn't a refurb, actually.

I've saved about $900 on the three new machines vs retail (the Macbook Pro accounts for $600 of that), and the seller of the used Mini took a lower price than he may otherwise have.

The only major difference is the special refurb plain box instead of a fancy white one ... even the included accessories are usually new shrink-wrapped units.

If you have specific needs, there are a couple of widgets and apps that monitor the Apple Canada refurb store for units that come on stream ... the names of the apps escape me now. Without that widget and Growl notification enabled I probably would not have been able to buy the server as they only come up rarely, and typically just one unit available. You have to be ready to jump on it because sought after units only last a few hours before someone does.

It's worth mentioning that Refurbs undergo a much more rigorous evaluation than production machines. A new out-of-the-box Mac works well and Apple has good processes in place for Quality Control but a refurb is actually evaluated, bench tested, etc in a much more vigorous process than any off-the-line unit can be in high volume production.

I agree with screature that consoles are the way to go for serious Mac using gamers. It's a simple solution that is pretty much painless, especially if you want Netflix as well. Computer gaming is great but can get expensive hardware and upgrade-wise in comparison.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts