Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, how many people here are gamers, online or whatever? And what are you using. Mac or PC?

Just curious as to how many 'Mac' people use PC's as their gaming system, because no matter how nice Macs might feel and look, PC's do have a raw horsepower edge on them.

Console people need not apply, how the h**l do you play UT2K3 with a game pad?? That's just not right

Resident Evil is a pretty strong reason for buying a Game Cube

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sever wrote:
"Just curious as to how many 'Mac' people use PC's as their gaming system, because no matter how nice Macs might feel and look, PC's do have a raw horsepower edge on them."

I've got a number of systems at home; of them, my most powerful PC is what I play games on. My Powerbook (i.e., my only Mac) is my portable computer. Granted, I'd love to get another Mac so I've a safe place to store my MP3s.

"Console people need not apply, how the h**l do you play UT2K3 with a game pad?? That's just not right"

You'd be surprised how well you can play a FPS with a gamepad (I've been playing Splinter Cell lately; man is that fun), but it still feels like you're "typing with mittens".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Yeah, I tried to play the new Metroid on my friends Game Cube. it felt like I was sedated.

Just been playing on computers far too long now I guess. Maybe I'll break out the C64 system and get back into it again... :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use a G4 867mhz QS witha Nvidia Geforce 4 64 mb card....it plays all the games i currently like just fine, WC3,MOHAA, ocasssionaly UT,JK2,RTCW..all of them fly with a little tweaking here and there for the Q3 based Engines...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I'm a gamer...and I use a 800MHz eMac with 256 SDRAM. So far, so good...although I am thinking of maxing out my RAM soon.

I play Jedi Knight II, Soldier of Fortune II, Alien vs. Predator, Giants: Citizen Kabuto on it and all is well.

Santa also brought me a PlayStation 2 for Christmas...and I must say that I do not use it as much as I thought I would. I find it too complicated to use with those stupid controllers. Is there a way to hook up a keyboard?
;)

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Bah! You guys are all a bunch o' wimps! A true gamer struggles through the adversity of hardware limitations and bears down, forcing him/herself through hours of mediocre framerates, knowing they have achieved the near-impossible....

I know whereof I speak... try running NOLF (min sys req: 350mhz G3 w/ 16mb VRAM) on a 300mhz iBook with 4mb VRAM! :eek:

And let's not forget UT! Though I'm rarely at home for the EhMacLand UT Rampages (hm, actually, never at home) due to my overactive social life, I can say with confidence that my rocket barrages, delivered at an amazing 17 fps, are intimidating in the extreme :D

Oh, sure, I *die* a lot :mad: but that's the price you pay for being on the "other" bleeding edge...

oh, man, I need an upgrade....

M

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
CubaMark wrote:
"Oh, sure, I *die* a lot ... but that's the price you pay for being on the "other" bleeding edge."

That bleeding edge being the edge where you die a lot?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Either or no matter for me... Just want to play the game, no PC to play games , but I got my mac, and my GBA and an old '64 for any of those legacy games... and then their are emulators for those old school NES games!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I play games (UT, RTCW, etc.) on my PowerMac DP800. I have no problems. I even kill all those guys using a PC.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
Santa also brought me a PlayStation 2 for Christmas...and I must say that I do not use it as much as I thought I would. I find it too complicated to use with those stupid controllers. Is there a way to hook up a keyboard?
;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually yeah, you may have noticed the USB and Firewire ports on the front of the PS2, thre are a few companies that make keyboards that will work. GameShark makes one that works just dandy, it's called the SharkBoard.

:D

--PB

·
Registered
719 Posts
I WAS playing most of my games (UT, Unreal, StarCraft, WarCraft II & III, Myth) on my PPC 7600, upgraded with a Voodoo 3 card and a G3 266 daughtercard.

But times have changed, and I find my new iBook 12"/combo drive with 32meg VRAM is much prettier to play on.

I was waiting for MWSF to produce a "better" G4 tower, but I will be forced to buy one this weekend. Probably a G4 DP 1 gig. But upgrade the video card to the 128meg card.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts