Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a "SNES style" RPG either for Xbox Live Arcade, or for something like the iPhone/iPad.

First, I don't don't if the C# - XNA language can be used on a Mac for Xbox LA, so I might have to go the mobile route.

I have no idea where to begin. I have zero programming experience, aside from xhtml and css. Can you develop for the iphone in xcode?

What about making graphics for the game?

How about music? What format should the sound files be in?

Sorry for all the questions, I REALLY want to do this, and have zero idea where/how to begin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know all that much about app development other than brief playing around with the SDK but for the iPhone at least a good place to start is here.

edit: pablo beat me too it

·
Registered
111 Posts
although there is some pretty cool html5 <canvas> game demo's that I have seen in the last month or so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys, I am checking those links now.

HTML 5? I have been hearing a little about this lately. Is it good for making games? Can you use it for the ipod/iphone?

I am confused about something. Do I develop for the iphone on my mac, or on an iphone?

·
Registered
347 Posts
thanks guys, I am checking those links now.

HTML 5? I have been hearing a little about this lately. Is it good for making games? Can you use it for the ipod/iphone?

I am confused about something. Do I develop for the iphone on my mac, or on an iphone?
You'll use the iPhone SDK, which is a free download from developer.apple.com. It includes Xcode - you'll be writing the iPhone applications on your Mac in Objective-C, which is similar to C (not C#). When you're writing the apps, you can use the built-in iPhone/iPad simulator to test, but you'll need to pay the $99 application developer fee to install the app on your physical iPhone/iPad.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
openFrameworks

If you aren't an experienced programmer then this isn't the easiest to get up and running but once you start getting your hands dirty you'll find that something like this can save you a lot of time when tinkering.

Also it's an MIT license which is extremely permissive and allows you to commercialize your app.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Get ye to the books. The ones I recommend and have are:

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass. This is a great book for programming on the Mac and learning Objective-C and Cocoa. May not be so useful for iPhone developers.

Beginning iPhone 3 Development Exploring the iPhone SDK by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche. This book is a great starting point for iPhone development. Before using this book learn Objective-C, either from Hillegass or from one of the other Apress books. If you programming skill is really lacking you should start learning C then get into Objective-C.

Oh ya, Hillegass's company, Big Nerd Ranch, has also published a iPhone book. Check it out, it is likely to be brilliant.

As for iOS (iPhone 4), it is too new to have much published about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This book is a little out-of-date, but goes hand-in-hand with its counterpart for programming games for Windows(r). This book takes your through the basics through full game development. If you want a starter book then this is a good one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts