Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have no clue what all these terms and numbers they are using mean (Though by the conclusion at the bottom it would appear the G5 is faster), I am sure some of you (IE Dr. G :D ) will be able to somewhat translate for the rest of us.

It says it was tested for information only and is not an endorsement. One thing I did notice is that their G5 was running 10.2.7!

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/g5/

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally Posted By: Mink Tea

It amazes me how little of that document I understood.

Amen to that! That's why I was hoping somebody else here could somewhat translate it for us, I somewhat understood the last thing on the page, I think it says the G5 rocks, but I may be wrong on that!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised I understood most of it.

In essence it says that the G5 does rock. NASA running their UNIX program (Jet3D) is a jet noise prediction tool.

They compare the amount of Megaflops vs the amount of Megahertz given out per chip (bang per buck per se).

They use two programs, one that handles scalar data and one that does vector. For those of who can't remember Physics, a scalar is a straight number, while a vector is a number that has a direction. So in essence a scalar will always be added to a scalar to get a total amount. A vector can go up or down. eg. Scalar would be total distance travelled, while a vector would be displacement (or distance) from where you started. To finish this example, if you travel from Calgary to Edmonton and then to Red Deer, you travelled about 450 km which is a scalar value, while the vector value would be about 150 km as you are 150 km from where you started.

They then give System characteristics so you can see that the systems aren't crazily biased or anything like that. The translation is that they compared a dual 2Ghz G5 (1 gig RAM), a dual 1Ghz XServe (G4, 1.5 gig RAM), dual 1.25 Ghz G4 (2 gig RAM), 2Ghz P4 (2 gig RAM), 2.66 Ghz P4 (900 megs of RAM) with both PCs running Red Hat Linux.

The results show the computing power compared in a single processor test (to make it fair for the P4s), and one between the Macs that the software uses the Altivec engine for (which is why the PCs can't run it) usign both processors. A note, is that the vector portion (which is more advanced then the scalar) will only run on an AltiVec enabled processor. They also say the new 3.2 Ghz P4s should be able to beat a G5 by 20%, but with software optimization for the G5, a single 2 Ghz G5 should be able to beat a 3.2 Ghz P4.

Hope this helps some.

For reference:
meg·a·flop
n.
A measure of computing speed equal to one million floating-point operations per second

Also, in reference to Ohenri's post, for some reason I find contracts funny to read, they aren't too hard and people pay to have them translated. Unfortunatly I haven't reaped the rewards of understanding the hithertos, and herebys and see this clause jargon.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Ha... you guys have yet to read entertainment contracts! If you think that those results made no sense, I should post the contact that we signed last year!! whoa... I always get joy out of telling people that I can read Sci. American, but CANNOT read a music/label contract. LAWYERS!! :mad: They can make me hotter than queen st @ 12:34pm on a sunny summer day!

H!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chealion: Thanks for the translation. Where were you when I was failing physics in High School?

Oh henri: I'd rather take those physics classes again then to even try to understand legalese.

Oh by the way... I'm working on trying to figure out why Queen Street is hotter than the rest of the city... I think it has something to do with all those hormones flying around.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Mink Tea - Probably in diapers. I'm only 17 so it wasn't all that long ago. I just wish I knew more, and my lack of experience is rather apparent sometimes

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
MacDaddy, I will agree with Chealion, in that I trust his expertise and that I am a sociolinguist and not a physics prof or engineer of any sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.