Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

On looks alone, is the G5 a SMASH or ugly TRASH?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at some pics of the new G5 and cast your vote.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do like the design, but I'm sure knowing what is under the hood has an effect on our love for the case.
:D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hey.... Just as I mentioned in this other post: Look at the huge success of the Hummer H2. Some will tell you that it's god awful ugly... others will swear it's the bomb. That industrial/commercial application look with the metallic casing is what I think is so hot. And likely will be if any of these 9 fans go bust! Sadly, I'm not in the market for an H2 - or a G5. :(

where's my 15" PB?!?!? :mad:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
To be honest, the case is decent, but mostly ugly. The MDD form blows it away, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
well, the mesh does remind me of the Trash icon in Jaguar, but I think that icon looks very nice :confused: ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think it's a smash. BUT.

Apple has got to start getting away from it's brushed aluminum fetish. It's beginning to look a little too Ikea-esque - all we need is some blonde wood stuck onto it and it could be a "Appulestrande" trash basket.

-SJ.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Aluminum is an excellent heat dissipation material. It's super heat-conductive. I believe Apple chose 7000-grade aircraft-quality aluminum over an Acrylic/chrome-plastic case was for a heat dissipation purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I love the aluminum, minimalist design. The case would match perfectly with a wire pen-holding cup and waste basket
. If you want to move away from aluminum, another good heat conductor is copper. However, I think silver looks better.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...a potentially stupid question.

Could the G5s be laid on their sides and placed right on your desk, or do you have to keep it in vertical tower mode?

Would the SuperDrive not work then?

·
Registered
591 Posts
it appears apple went back to the single CD bay design, what about internal zips?

Also I have four HD's in my G4 and it appears there is only room for two in this bad boy...

Hmmm I think I'll stay with my beater for now

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I like the alumimium! It would look awesome sitting on my new stainless steel Mega BBQ! It would give a whole new meaning to Surf &Turf!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
PS. I hear alot of people complaining that there is only room for one extra HD. I think thats fine, as you are no longer limited to 40gb HDs. I'm not even sure what the largest drive size is 250GB? That would mean a max of 500 GB internal storage plus external if needed. I think thats plenty. As for not having room for ZIP. Sorry but I think the cost of ZIP vs CD has doomed the ZIP drive. Our design department have gone the way of the disposable CD and stopped worrying about who has all our ZIP discs. Apple has always been ruthless in the way they decide what technology is still useful.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I like the look. #1, it moves away from the "shiny plastic" dissing that the PC bigots blatt. And #2, it DEFINITELY has that "F**K U WINTEL!" air about it... and air in it... and air through it :D

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
How soon will it be before the Xserves get the G5 chip w/1GHz bus?? This would be a smokin' machine.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
It does look like a cheese grater, but what seems to be contained inside that matters, in my opinion. "Function over form."

·
Registered
361 Posts
The G5 tower looks awesome. Very sleek and cool. The current and previous G4 case designs were nice and still are, but I still like this new design way more. The box just looks serious and looks like it means business. I like it a lot!

Besides the looks however, a dual G5 stacks up well against a dual Xeon and a single P4, but the obvious question to me is: How does it do against a dual P4?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dual P4? No such thing. The design of the P4 is such that it can not work as a dual machine. Which is a good thing :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Apple has got to start getting away from it's brushed aluminum fetish. It's beginning to look a little too Ikea-esque - all we need is some blonde wood stuck onto it and it could be a "Appulestrande" trash basket.
I agree

1 - 20 of 20 Posts