Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up Apple today because my CPU was making a beeping noise everytime I moved my mouse. Turns out the PSU in the G5's are causing the noise.

So the guy on the phone says, this is a normal function of the G5 and swapping out the PSU will not fix it but might make it occur less times.

I went to apples G5 Discussion board to find over 600 posts on this same problem.

I am still glad I got my G5, its still a speed demon, but this constant beeping is pretty bloody annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I haven't heard any odd beeping noises coming from my G5 (at least not yet). I've no idea how this could be a "normal function", though.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I've been following this problem for a while now. There's some pretty well thought out theories in that 600 post discussion on Apple.com. But the problem varies quite a bit. Some have a noise while moving windows around, others have the beeping noise coming through the audio minijacks, some have the noise coming through their FireWire or USB audio interface. Others just have a constant fishtank noise that gets on their nerves. There's some question as to whether a PSU replacement will attend to all those noise instances.

My G5 dual seems okay so far, but I can get it to make those tweetie bird sounds by running "Cinebench 2003". That alone makes me wonder if I'll eventually have the same problem others are having.

-Howie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My didn't beep when I first got it, it developed the beep after. I'd keep an ear out for it, if I were you. It doesn't effect performance at all. But I've read that the sound shows up on firewire and USB sound devices which really blows.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
MacFixit has had some informative articles about various G5 noise issues. You'll have to subscribe if you want the more informative one(s) from last week. However today they do mention that PSU replacements seem to alleviate the noise problem.

As far as I can remember from last week's article, the favourite theory is that the PSU design allows its coils to begin resonating under certain conditions - not an unknown problem in the computer world apparently.

KNOCK WOOD... my Dual G5 doesn't seem affected after 5 weeks of steady, sometimes heavy use. It's 2 feet away from where I sit and I can't even hear it running. Oh please, let me not jinx myself by saying that!

·
peek-a-boo
17,114 Posts
heh. I remember when I was "whining" about my G4 noise problem, Goobernatorial you had this to say...

"Apple probably has no more hardware design problems than anyone other pc manufacturer. And regarding the noisy MDD they did supply a fix for it, and they did design the G5 to specifically address the problem of noise, so I'm not sure why you are whining."

noise is a drag eh? Even if it's only a little beeping.

·
Registered
470 Posts
groove - I remember that post too.

My QS fans make the G5 dualie sound like it is turned off! They're in the same room.

So far, I haven't experienced any strange PSU "noises". However, I am reading reports about it all over the web.

·
peek-a-boo
17,114 Posts
Heh. Yea. I can turn on my honker AMD system, another Intel system, and a beige with firewire drives a'spinnin, the stereo on 3, and the MDD more than wipes them all out. Still strongly considering the G5 move, but I'll see how a new power supply/fan (again!) does, and had thought of putting my 35 gallon fishtank in the room to add running water sounds to help drown this thing out. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
No beeps or problems or anything, and I use it several hours a day almost every day. One of the clients I work for occasionally, has a single 1.8 and I haven't noticed anything with it either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts