Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBM has released a brief update of the G5 (IBM 970) development. The short answer is they're currently getting speeds from 1.8 to 2.5 GHz. The 970 is essentially a full 64-bit dual CPU on a single chip design.
Pure speculation (the usual rumour sites) suggests Apple could introduce the G5 as early as Summer 2003 or as late as early 2004.

IBM

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I guess we were working on topics at the same time... :D

The thing is, the article didn't seem to state when the PowerPC 970 blades are available. It made a note that the blades currently ship with Intel processors, but does not say when they will switch over to the PowerPC 970.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Blade Server is a hardware host for the blades (a computer on a removeable board, kind of like a PCI card). The Server has been available since late 2002.

Currently Intel-equipped blades are available to install in the Server. PPC blades are coming soon; no firm date yet. The Server allows for installation of x86 and PPC blades in the same box, and is 970-ready.

Because Apple should be buying CPUs, not blades (at least for the desktop) from IBM, the availablility of the blade itself is not directly related to when Apple may introduce a 970 motherboard Mac.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Calling this chip a G5 might be a bit premature. They refer to it as the PowerPC 970.

I don't think it will be called a G5 until Apple officially adopts it in it's consumer machines and used G5 as a marketing tool.

Not that I don't have my fingers crossed in anticipation. It would be very cool!

:cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
Because Apple should be buying CPUs, not blades (at least for the desktop) from IBM, the availablility of the blade itself is not directly related to when Apple may introduce a 970 motherboard Mac.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but if the blades with PowerPC 970's are available, say in April, we know the PowerPC 970 is then in production, and that Apple could start using it in PowerMacs. Ie. If their was a date when the blades are available, we know the PowerPC 970 is in production. So far, all I think we've heard is that the PowerPC 970's will be in production in the 2nd half of 2003. It would be great news if a PowerPC 970 actually existed in some sold product.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strongblade:

Calling this chip a G5 might be a bit premature. They refer to it as the PowerPC 970.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree. Apple still hasn't said their going to use it... although, IMHO they'd have to be dumb not too. We also don't know what Apple is going to call it or the machines based on it. They may want to get away from the Gx numbering, they may not... They may want to get away from the PowerMac name too and call it... hmmmm... XMac? XStation? PowerStation? I'm terrible at picking names... waht's a cool name?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Call the new G5 computer the DOXIE -- Dual (as in "dual 64-bit dual CPU") Operating system in os X for the Internet Experience of a lifetime -- DOXIE. Then, just watch the exposure on TV of doxies skyrocket as the new Mac commercials have Shaq walking a doxie, which scares away Yao's Kerry Blue Terrier (i.e., IBM) and mini-me's Irish Wolfhound (i.e., Dell) through a Gateway. Daisy and Rootie have already been photographed wearing their new 40 gig iPod with "Doxie friendly ear buds".

However, I DON'T think I am going to wait for the release of a G5 computer, since it is far more than I need..............and I don't want to see the clan go crazy over another "Did Dr.G. ever get a Mac?" thread, which would be followed by "Did Dr.G. ever survive his tar and feathering???"

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Dr. G.,
I would like to read your musings about buying a "G5" instead of a G4 Mac.
It is making excellent notes for my Psychology Masters thesis. :D

My supervising professor cannot believe what I have shown him so far and I need more "evidence." :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Macspectrum, sorry to disappoint you, but if the administrative assistant in charge of research grant purchases is back next week I shall order an iMac. Sorry, now you will have to go back to bi-polar disorders.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
A dual-processor 2.5 GHz G5 tower would be the ultimate machine. But knowing Apple, even if the chip did reach the 2.5 GHz mark, Apple would probably introduce it at 1.8 GHz or even slower, and every few months bump the speed up by 300 MHz or something to get the "ooo" and "ahhh" from us. :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Would Apple have to introduce a new OS, or does OSX work in 64-bit?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The processor is 32-bit compatable meaning current applications can be run and don't have to be rewritten. You could compare it to how the G4's Velocity Engine allowed programs to rapidly accelerate themselves, but if they didn't use it, it was ok.
So if you have any 64-bit apps, they are going to fly... literally...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For those interested, IBM has released projected SPEC CPU200 scores for the Power 970 at 1.8GHz; I extrapolated the scores to 2.5GHz (presuming that SPECint and SPECfp scale linearly with clock speed, a big assumption). I've also included the SPECint and SPECfp scores for the P4 and Itanium 2 as references.

PowerPC 970 @ 1.8GHz : 937 SPECint, 1051 SPECfp
PowerPC 970 @ 2.5GHz : 1301 SPECint, 1459 SPECfp
Pentium 4 @ 3.06GHz : 1050-1100 SPECint, 970-1090 SPECfp
Itanium 2 @ 1.0GHz : 800 SPECint, 1400 SPECfp

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 64-bit OS is probably in the future, but doesn't necessarily have to be ready for Apple to adopt the IBM 970 chip. All 64-bit PPC chips can run 32-bit code at full native speed.

Guessing about benchmarks is risky, but the G4 seems to scale quite well, so jf's extrapolation may well be close enough for now.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I want one! I want one now! I have just leaped from G3 Pismo on OS9 to a G4 tower on OSX and I am giddy with newfound power. I want more!

(I'll take my meds now and calm down) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts