Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about the amount of heat produced by the G5 chip and the attention to air flow(9 fans) will there ever be a G5 powerbook or will Apple just have to stay on the G4 path?

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Too early to tell. I remember the exact same question being asked about the possibility of a G4 PowerBook - hey, it's like déjà vu all over again!

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'd imagine that there will be a PowerBook G5 at some point in time; IBM just has to produce a G5 that's small enough and cool enough to fit inside a notebook.

After all, when the P4 was released it required a massive amount of cooling. A year or so later the P4 started appearing in notebooks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Perhaps a liquid cooled chip would eliminate fans?!!! Alright, its crazy, but hey...so was the idea of laptops back when computers were the size of rooms!!! Get me a patent!!!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Wait.. for it... wait.... wait....

Next year.. wasn't there a blurb about the G5 being available in a year after the G5 announcement..

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. This dude has heard the same question about fifteen trillion times.. and the same goes for when will the G5 show up... sigh..

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
In the Apple discussion forum I had suggested that they
use a iSnorkle© idea to cool the G5 chip in a laptop.
The thread that I started...Can no longer be found in the
Apple forums...Strange eh?

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lower speed G5s, 1.0-1.4 Ghz, have been said to run just as cool as the current G4s, but once you get higher then that some believe that once IBM has gone to the 90 nm process for the chips it will become possible to put a G5 into a laptop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts