Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen and heard conflicting reports so...

On the G5's...

Is there a list of compatible PCI cards that someone has actually used and verified?

Specifically I 'd like to know which video cards can be used (yes I like to use 3 monitors) and if the Adaptec 2940U2W card could be used for my external RAID.

TIA

JKD

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I know the basic Adaptec cards don't work on them (This is straight from Adaptec Tech Support) but the UW should (When I talked to them they said they were working on getting the higher models to work, give them a call to check specific cards)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The big thing is 3.3V compatibility. Some, but not all, cards can use either 3.3 or 5 volts.

If it's 5 volt only, it won't work on G5s but will work in any earlier PCI slot.

Apple's BTO Radeon 9800 is rare, it's 3.3V only and won't work on pre-G5 Macs. It's the only card I know of like that, but we might see more of them in the future. (AGP is really a PCI card spec, although it's a special kind of PCI).

There might be problems with drivers, but if the voltage isn't compatible no driver will help.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Exactly as above.. most cards that are 3.3 Volts should work.. but dirvers have to be written for the new machine prior to them being compatible..

I would also like to note that PCI-X will surely be replacing AGP in the near future as the basis for video cards.. so I can see why Apple wanted to put them in their mahcines...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...

But have you (Rick, MacDoc, Carbon, any of the other hardware boys) actually put any of these video cards in a G5 (1.6) and have confirmed them working?

Or to date have no drivers been written for them?

If so, please let me know which cards are indeed a good choice for a third monitor, I do not want to slow the bus down and create a bottleneck in the system.

TIA again,

JKD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts