Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am getting closer to being able to purchase a G5 Dually I have stumbled onto the Apple/discussions/G5/use.
It seems that there are quite a few people complaining about the noise that the G5 dually is reported to be making. I have noticed that quite a few of these individuals are in the Audio/Recording sector. I am a Joe home type user living in Western Canada eh and am wondering if all this fuss is reason to hold off on buying. Can anybody that has a G5 dual perhaps comment on the supposed noise level. :D :D

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I too am a Joe home-type user. My Dual G5 is practically silent. When powering up, the fans rev but quickly settle down & can hardly be heard. When I'm giving the machine a workout they rev up for a few seconds once in a while, but soon spin back down into unobtrusiveness after they've done their job.

I've read the G5 Noise discussions on the Apple website. Not to say that it isn't a concrete issue however you have to keep it in perspective - for every noisy G5, many, many more are perfectly fine.

Although I can occasionally hear the motherboard sing a bit, it's certainly not constant, not loud, and doesn't bug me at all. The power supply doesn't thrum, hum, or moan. Overall this machine is about as quiet as my Flat-Panel iMac was. It's an impressive, solid beast that hasn't set a foot wrong since I started using it about 5 weeks ago.

Any other G5 owners (Dual, 1.6, or 1.8) out there care to chime in?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Read my post- "I'm More Than A Little Concerned" here in this "Anything Mac" forum. Especially read my last post which contains a link to a Cubase forum post. That Cubase thread says it all.

It is a big problem, but thankfully it doesn't affect all dual G5's.

-Howie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts