Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when are going to see Apple migrate their iMac and eMac lines to the G5?

Will Apple release Panther in a 64 bit build and a 32 bit build...
or will they use this opportunity to get the majority of users to upgrade again?

Parousia.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think the iMac and eMac lines will be a while getting to the G5. Look at the cooling system that the G5 currently requires...9 fans. the iMac has NO fans and the eMac has 1 fan.

I think it will require a lot more re-designing of the internals of an iMac to get the G5 in there. As well, apple wants to use this new chip to segment the lines between the people who buy the consumer products, iMac, eMac, etc and the pro products, the powermac G5.

As for Panther, it should run forwards and backwards on a G4 or a G5 and will not have to be purchased for either system as far as I can tell.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I doubt we'll see the G5 in an eMac this year. It might appear in an iMac. They may surprise me. But I'm think it won't appear in an iMac till next year. Seems kinda late, though, to have it in an iMac next year. Apparently it won't appear in a Powerbook anytime soon. Apple's Joswiak was quoted as saying:
"Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."
I found the quote in this article http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/future/

I would think that both a 32-bit and 64-bit build of Panther will be available on CDs/DVD and that the Panther install will determine which build to install depending on if you have a G3, G4 or G5. Apple will still likely support G4s and G3s for awhile.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well today posted on Maccentral Apple talks about future use of the G5. They said they still have good prospects with Motorola and will be using the G4 chip until it can't be used anymore. This means we will see G4 chips in everything except the new G5 Power Macs for quite some time. Probably another 2 -3 years life left in the G4 chip. Apple also said it has no plans to use the G5 in any of its PowerBook line for quite some time. This leads me to think that we won't be seeing too many 64 bit software programs for probably 1-2 years down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I agree. The move to 64-bit apps will take years to accomplish. In terms of scale I suspect it will make the OS 9 to OS X switch look like a walk in the park. That said, investors will no doubt be pleased to see that Apple's taking the first steps in this direction.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The bigger question is how well optimized will Panther be for 64 bit processing? The G5's will likely not hit the ground running in this respect until next year (when other apps are optimized).

As for G5's in iMacs, I'd expect something next Summer. The 9 fans are for the high speed variants and the pro machines have a lot of other heat generators (the potential for extra cards and storage). Putting a 1.2 GHz G5 in an iMac shouldn't be too hard. I think that once the processor production is fully ramped, we'll see duo processors across the pro range with single processors in the iMacs. The powerbooks have a G4 future for the next near or so. No point in having a G5 in a powerbook that has to be vectored back when on batteries.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Here's my guess:

G4 iMac speed bump in the fall (1.2 to maybe 1.4 gHz), Apple has to recoup the R and D money from that mobo design before moving onto the G5.

G5 iMac in the new year (announced in January and shipping in Feb/March) G5's 1.4 to 1.8 gHz range

No G5 in the eMac til next summer but G4 speed bumps along the way (they could do it of course but the profit margins are way too high on teh iMac to rush anything into the eMac).

G5 in the Powerbook (a 980 chip) spring 2004 at the earliest (means that IBM will have to smoke their milestones to get them out that early) more likely a year from now.

iBook will go to G4 (or IBM Altivec/G3) around the time that the PB ships with a G5.

The one thing that I'll be interested to see is if there is a big drop off in iMac sales over the next year with people becoming more interested in the G5 (sort of a reverse of the previous situation with tower sales dropping off and laptop sales coming on).

·
Registered
645 Posts
New G5 PowerBooks the one and only that screams like a jet with its 13 fans. It will hover on your lap causing no heat issues what so ever. This is the best PowerBook we have built and we think you will enjoy it. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the steps Apple has taken lately to annouce its victory in the processor race "worlds fastest computer" I dont see how Apple can wait very long before it is in the iMac line at least.

I believe that Jan 2004 is a reasonable guess.

Apple will be ridiculed for the fact that you must spend at least $3000 or close to it to get a machine that matches the cheap P4 entry systems.

I think that the G4 will remain in the ibook line for much longer though.

Parousia

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PGant,

Switching from 32-bit applications to 64-bit applications should be far less traumatic than the switch from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Porting an application from 32-bit to 64-bit is trivial compared to porting an application from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Ideally the move should be transparent to users, although there probably will be the odd 32-to-64-bit bug that users will encounter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I say this:

- G5s in Power Macs this year (confirmed)
- 7457s in PowerBooks, iMacs and eMacs this year (unconfirmed)
- G3 (Gobi) in iBooks this year (unconfirmed)

I hope the hardware will finally begin to keep up with the software, speedwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts