Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention K-Mart Shop.. er, G5 Owners - Apple released a G5 Firmware Update today, available through Software Update. You'll get a chance to print the instructions before doing the update so make sure your printer is on.

"The update provides Power Mac G5 systems with performance improvements in some PCI-X configurations. What's more, a security hole has been patched, and fan behavior has been improved in Open Firmware."

Uh, security hole?

I installed it on my Dual G5; too early to tell if the fan behaviour is improved to the extent that my Drive Bay temperature concern will die away. However there does seem to be a bit more air coming out of the back of the case - interestingly, without a discernable increase in noise. This baby's still whisper quiet...

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I'm seeing slightly lower overall temperatures in ThermographX. It's hard to be sure of fan operation changes though, I have my G5 under my desk and only ever hear the clatter of the Seagate drives.

But the drive bay temp seems to have remained much the same, which is the one temp that is a concern to me. :confused:

-Howie

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I don't think this Firmware Update addresses the Drive Bay fan temperature issue. In my eagerness last night I missed the descriptor offered by Apple says, "...and fan behavior has been improved in Open Firmware."

This would mean (unless I'm mistaken) that there are no changes in fan behaviour unless you boot your G5 in Open Firmware.

In any case I sent off a little missive to Apple about the Drive Bay heat concern; dollars to doughnuts I'm not the first one to do so... it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) comes of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts