·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the rumor sites i visit.

AppleInsider
MacRumors
MacBidoulle

Have all been contacted by Apple Legal to remove all articles discussing the leaks on the "G5". A few atricles mentioned specifically that the chip will be called G5(recently, in the last three days those site all posted similar articles, all seeming to be from the same source.

All those articles are now gone, as per request of Apple Legal...we will indeed see the G5 after all.

970 powered PM's at WWDC forsure...it seems.

:D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
It's strange that Apple is only now asking for G5 rumours to be pulled... are the latest rumors based on info that should only be available under Non-disclosure Agreements. Ie. did someone who was under NDA say something they shouldn't.

I get a laugh out of AppleInsider's latest rumor. Talk about drunken bar stories.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a specific article talking about the stats and the name "G5"

It mentioned...among other things

Hypertransport
DDR 400
"Metal" enclosures
G5 naming sceme

And confirming of the 970 to be used, all the sites reported the article the same way, and they have all been asked to remove it.

I think its almost a given these badboys are going to be demoed, with Smeagol being the 10.2.7 OS used to run Jag on these boxes.

eWeek confirmed that portion recently.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but I cannot understand why the legal dept. at Apple would try to stiffle these speculations. What difference is it if a web site reports this configuration or that new casing/motherboard/etc? I don't see it lessening the anticipation, and the fact that they are trying to delete certain items only heightens the speculation.

Might someone explain to me the rationale underlying the actions of this legal department???

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
In short - Steve likes his "surprise factor" to be a surprise. These leaks also affect sales up to the announcement.
People working with Apple have non-disclosure agreements so leaks don't happen or they can be threatened with lawsuits, firing or even arrests ( last year ).
These leaks can affect millions of dollars worth of purchasing.
It's a diffcult ethical decision - like right now we are warning X only high end clients to wait based on the rumours while encouraging OS9 Powerbook users to grab one before they are gone.
Apple is famous for it's product announcements and if you've never seen Steve do a Keynote you've missed one of the truly great showman of all time in action.
It's very exciting.
The keynote where they announced the iMac and the G4 was just astounding. :eek:

Steve gets vicious. When ATI got sloppy a while back and released details about the upcoming G4 line ahead of time Steve . AT THE SHOW - cancelled their contract and went to nVidia. Vindictive - yep.

Understand now?? :D

[ June 11, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Heart ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's also the proven track record and historical pretense that Rumors can lead to Hype, and Hype can lead to mis/disinformation, and Mis/disinformation can lead to more rumors, and the vicious circle repeats itself to untold millions of people, investors, distributors, resellers, end-users, capital venturists, etc etc etc. A lot of damage can be done. Maybe it's such utter BS that Apple-Legal wants to stop of the flow of this over-hyped/exaggerated rumor-milling to lessen the blow to their share price, and as MacDoc so accurately depicted, reseller channels. Apple Computer Inc. is a business. They're out to make money and survive another fiscal year.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I think they've name a entire genre of SPIN after Steve. :D
Seriously tho I think Apple is smart to do the introductions when the product is ready to go and not wait artificially. The Powerbook price restructure was handled reasonably well and came with little or no warning even if expected.

A chip change tho is a BIG THING and Apple needs to have some positive press about getting back in the heavy lifting arena. Motorola :( :rolleyes: really hurt Apple over the past 3 years.

A splashy hype show is just what is called for and they don't want the surprise spoiled. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, y'all (this is the Mark Twain southern drawl way of saying "merci"). For some reason, certain Macs will not be ordered by our Mac Consortium here at the University until June, 24th. Thus, my 17" AlBP will be ordered then, with an expected two week delivery time. Thus, my timeline of Bastille Day still stands. Of course, they could always EOL these 17" AlPB and replace them with 23" screens screens, with a other super add-ons (such as legs to go with the laptop so that it not only replaces the desktop computer, but also the desk!!). We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Uh-oh..... June 24th Dr. G??

Actually, that gives you some protection in case they bump the processor speed in the 17". Not expected (since they've only been shipping since mid-March) but if Apple introduces the aluminum 15" powerbook, it would make some sense to bump the 17" processor to 1.25 GHz to further differentiate the top of the line "instrument of lust".

BTW, earlier in the thread, why did Heart edit Macdocs post?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
BTW, earlier in the thread, why did Heart edit Macdocs post?
Heart corrected the company name ATI. It used to say ATO. I was going to say something about the ATO, but I figured people knew macdoc meant ATI. After all there are only 2 graphic chip makers.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
jwoodget, I think that this was the rationale undertaken by our MacMaven here at MUN. Better to wait less than two weeks, and not have to cancel the order because something better/more expensive came out, or the shift to a 15" AlPB. It is not just me, but every new Mac purchase unless it is understood that there might be some changes in store in two weeks time. I don't see the need for a 970 chip, in that the current 17"AlPB can do everything I want/need it to do. I still say it was worth the nearly two year wait from the time of the original iBook release to now. Such is Life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts