Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My G5 has two drives and I successfully erased my documents drive just by using the Disk Utility (did the 7x erase). Now I want to do the main OS drive. I have an installer disk with OS 10.4 (Tiger). I've started the installation process but it didn't give the opportunity to do a multi-pass erase.

Anyway I can do this? Or, will everything truly be erased as it says?

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
My G5 has two drives and I successfully erased my documents drive just by using the Disk Utility (did the 7x erase). Now I want to do the main OS drive.
A 7x erase pass is totally excessive and a waste of time and probably hard on the drive itself, a 2x pass is more than adequate but if you have already started to do the install, you would have to start over again as everything would be erased.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only did the 7x on one HD. For the OS drive, there were no options for any multi-passes but I only just put the disk in and went with it. From what I researched, data isn't necessarily actually erased over. It's a little confusing to what really is happening to it. That's why I went with the multi-pass, just to be sure.

To get those other options (a 2x pass), is there something different I can do?

·
Premium Member
43,585 Posts
Those drives are already as old as the hills, mcoltezo — do 'em 7 times if you like. Any future owner will likely toss those those drives anyway.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're probably right! lol.... it's just the security of my old info I'm concerned about. likely no one interested but if there is a way to do the OS drive as well from the install disk, do you happen to know what it is? ....cuz at the moment, I don't know how to do a multi pass from the install disk. ..or other way?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Lacking a bootable clone, simply install Tiger on the already erased drive, boot from there to erase the primary, anything beyond a 2x writeover is indeed excessive and a total waste of time. At that point you can install Tiger to the primary.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lacking a bootable clone, simply install Tiger on the already erased drive, boot from there to erase the primary, anything beyond a 2x writeover is indeed excessive and a total waste of time. At that point you can install Tiger to the primary.
Oh! right! It never occurred to me that I could just do that. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
And leave the new install of Tiger for the next user!
Or just turn off the G5 when it has finished installing the OS if you want so that the next user will be welcomed to a new Mac but will have to go through the setup procedure just like a new user would have to do.

Alternatively, Boot up completely and set it up with a new "tester" named user account, and you could forget using any password or use a password such as "tester". That way it is ready to demo to any potential purchaser, and they can set up their own account and use the tester account for testing purposes if they ever need one. A good idea to have anyway for any needed Diagnostic purposes.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or just turn off the G5 when it has finished installing the OS if you want so that the next user will be welcomed to a new Mac but will have to go through the setup procedure just like a new user would have to do.

- Patrick
=======
I decided to go this route so it's fresh for them. They can then do what they want with it. I'm just going to be glad to be done. I appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts