Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
it is alsso at Digital protypes. just went to check it out.

It is BEAUTIFUL, man! :cool: The design and construction is most impressive. Their BEST YET! (typical of Apple).

It is whisper quiet.

i played UT3k on it. Smooth as silk.

Finder windo resizes are zero-lag, of course, but iPhot and iMovie STILL LAG when resizing! :mad: (a majot pet peeve of mine. The iApps should be smooth as silk on ANY Mac, let alone a bloody 1.6GHz G5!

Ran xbench on it. It topped out pretty damned fast, but lost to a Dual 800 G4 (xBench's benchline machine) on a few tests. :( you'd hope that the slowest G5 could STILL whip ANY dual G4, let alone a dual 800!

but, all in all, a fantastic advance for the platform. If I had the dough, I'd pop for the dual 2 gigger!

·
Registered
503 Posts
It topped out pretty damned fast, but lost to a Dual 800 G4
That's what I suspected. I'd especially like to see how this compares to a dual 1.25 G4 which is still cheaper than a low-end G5

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am interested to see how the G5 will run on panther, being 64 bit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
cp used site says they also now have the G5.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
yoyo - Panther isn't 64bit. My guess is there will be a G5 version of Panther and a normal version of Panther in order to make access of the 64 bits, much like what Apple did with the 680x0 to PPC switch.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just checked out a 1.6 G5 at CSC and wasn't all that impressed...excellent build quality but not much of a performance gain over my dual 1

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I am interested to see how the G5 will run on panther, being 64 bit.
Panther is still a 32 bit OS

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Main shipping arrives next week - demo models are in.
1.6 & 1.8 - if you are serious about maxxing the speed email us as we have them set up properly :D for getting the most out of the beasties.

BTW we also like the value point of the dual 1.25 - with the extra drive bays allowing cost effective speed set ups and price points they are still excellent boxes.

Also arrived are the 1.25 ghz single dual boots. We like that model too for price point and it dual boots. For those on 9 - this rocks - X might get there one day ;) :D it's REAL snappy.

[ September 03, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Macdoc, do you envision people upgrading the video cards on the 1.8 from nVidia to the ATI Radeon card?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
b.Mac in Mtl has the G5 too.. the 1.6 Demo has arrived at the Pare location, I have from good sources that the G5 should artrive at the other locations very shortly (by Friday) But, if you want to the G5, check it out at on Pare street. The address is on the b.Mac website.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Macdoc, non-game/non-DVD watching use and an LCD monitor. Main use would be for iMovie/iDVD.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Dr. G, you wont need to upgrade the video card. The one it comes with will do you fine, do pretty much anyone fine, unless they are a hardcore gamer (or some such thing).

Macaholic, what version of Xbench did you run? Only the latest version is "Optimised for G5" (in other words will take advantage of the G5).

And also, Panther is a 32 bit OS with 64 bit libraries to take advantage of the G5's features (which for the average user basically means it can address more than 4 GB of RAM).

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
it's interesting to see how unphotographable this thing is.

note the moiré patterns that appear on the grills....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
PB, I have heard that the nVidia card is more for the game, and the ATI Radeon is better at all other things on which a G5 might be utilized. As well, ATI is a Canadian company.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Dr. G Posterboy has it right.
Besides LCDs are slow anyway.
You want speed in G5 it's spelled RAID :D

BTW the G4s are holding their own at the moment

Given the drive bays the dual 1.25 looks very good.

"BIG CAVEAT: Cinebench 2003 is NOT optimized for the G5... yet. Richard Kurz of the Maxon Mac development lab confirmed that G5 optimizations are planned."

Now Panther is supposed to give a 40% speed boost but that may apply to G4s as well.
We hope to have our own speed tests this weekend which will measure some other factors as well where the balanced bandwidth may show up better the architectural differences.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My father called me yesterday to ask me about getting a new computer (He has a StarMax and wants to upgrade), He said he was interested in the eMac 17", But I told him not to buy it because if anything ever went wrong...He'd have to bring it into Toronto to get it fixed. (He lives in "The County" near Wellington).

I had suggested that he wait until after the Paris Expo, Or come into T.O. and see the G4's in person, I recomended a Dual processor.

I'm not sure if the 867 was the loudest Mac on the planet and needed a power supply swap (I think it was the mirror door Mac), Anyways...
Can anyone post a suggestion as to which G4 he should be thinking of buying under $2000. (He'll probably want a monitor with it as well)

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Posterboy, I grabbbed the latest off of Versiontracker.com (the G5 was connected to the 'net).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts