Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..

I'm looking to purchase my first Mac (yea!!) and figured a used G4 tower (either Quicksilver or MDD) would do nicely.

I've heard a lot of complaints about fan and power supply noise on these systems however and am a bit concerned.

I was wondering which systems are affected? Is it just the dual processor machines? Is the noise really that bad?

I'd like to hear from current owners. Is it really an issue?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I bought a MDD Dual 1.25GHz last year and I can't hear the computer. Of course it's under my desk but even so I think they fixed the "wind-tunnel" issue with the later models because this computer is a quiet as the QS867 it replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
First gen MDD are very very loud without the power supply replacement installed. They are still loud even with the new power supply but it is better. The current MDD's aren't too bad but are definitely louder than Quicksilvers.

Get a cube :D

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I also have a dual 1.25 G4 MDD
The noise is not bad, about average for any PC, but not nearly as quiet as the earlier sawtooth and digital audio models in the 400-733 range.
But the peformance on this machine is fantastic and the noise is not too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I have a G4 MDD 1.25 (sp)-June 2003 and although not loud, it does make it's presence known. I went from a G4 350 sawtooth which was very quiet. The upside is the new machine screems along in Adobe apps. A joy to use. I usually play music when I work so it further reduces the noise. (oh, and I've lived beside both a subway and a railway so noise is relative
)
Robert

PS: Let your needs dictate which is a better machine. If graphics, go for the newest you can afford as it will be worth it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
As Robert says, noise is relative.

In the retail store it is very difficult to tell whether a computer is making any noise or not - because the ambient noise level of the salesroom tends to be relatively high. Get the computer back home and into your den - and it's another story.

I have to say MDDs are loud relative to other Macs; but I find all computers noisy. You don't want it on your desk - but then I don't understand why anyone would want a computer consuming their desk space anyway. One of my associates has a Quicksilver sitting on his desk and I find it hard to tolerate for any period of time. My Dad dad has his Dell on the desk too and it bothers me just the same. Personal taste and tolerance.

If Simon can't hear his MDD under the desk - that leads me to suspect he's sharing his office space with an HVAC appliance of some sort. But it definitely helps to have a barrier between you and your computer - and maybe there is some variation from one unit to the next. I am into recording so i'm particularly sensitive to noise so my two MDDs (1.25 sp) are in their own sound isolation closets (as were their predecessors).

If you want quiet - I would suggest (some form of sonic isolation and/or) looking at - or listening to - a G5. iMacs are another option - but that places the noise-making machinery right under your nose - so even though it is relatively quiet, it is also close - and immoveable. Yet another option is a new 12" PowerBook. It is quiet and can also be placed farther away while while you work on an auxiliary keyboard, mouse and monitor. I have an associate with this setup and it rocks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. My apartment is small so noise is definitely a consideration. The computer would go under my desk. I don't expect silence..it should at least be reasonable. I may bite the bullet and spring for a G5. It's amazing how quiet those machines are. Not to mention really faaaaaast!

The Powerbook with an external monitor is an interesting idea. Anyone currently working with that setup?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, there is a modified heatsink for the single processor G4 MDD's. Please send me your model number via e-mail and I'll confirm that it will work. I have them in stock.

Cris

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an 867 MMD G4 which was really noisy, even with the replacement power supply. The Verax fan kit I bought from Cris has made all the difference in the world. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Hi Maclife,
I currently use a Powerbook 12" and an external monitor. It works very well and I don't have a single complaint.
I run the monitor in parallel to the monitor. Not sure I'm using the correct terminology but it means I'm using both the powerbook screen and the monitor. I keep static programs (Mail, Addressbook, Ical open on the Powerbook display at all times and use the monitor (NEC FE950) for whatever I'm working on (Office and iLife apps usually) actively. So, from that respect, actually a better setup than a desktop with single monitor.
But the best part is, I have the option of unpluging the monitor and going anywhere with the PB. Also, I utilyse a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so I don't even have to unplug them.
So, a very good solution IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Petie that sounds like a sweet setup. Best of both worlds really. I may be getting into some video editing in the future though so I think a tower might be the wiser decision. But hey, maybe the G5 PB's will be released soon! I'm just kidding

Seriously though, I think this is going to be a big year for Apple. As a company they seem to be moving in a really positive direction and I think we are going to see some very cool stuff in the not too distant future.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
If you're going to do video editing, I would suggest a tower or at least a higher power powerbook than mine. Memory is really the key for that. A 15" can have up to 2 gig. Starting to get pricey at that point and a Dual G4 tower is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Though memory is important, even more crucial for video editing is HD speed, unfortunately you'll need to switch to a 60GB 7200 rpm notebook HD, or use a FW drive as your scratch disk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts