Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought anyone with a PowerBook G4 would want to know this.

Check your power supply. Mine just about caught fire this morning! It started smoking. I left the 'Book plugged in this morning and when I came back about half an hour later the light that glows amber when charging and green when the battery is at full capacity was out.

Although the PowerBook was cool, the white plastic brick of the power adapter was burning hot. Where the wiring attaches to the brick, the heat had melted through the insulation. Smoke was just starting to come out of the adapter.

My power supply was the original 65W that shipped with 867mhz G4 PowerBook in November of 2002. It was made by Delta Electronics.

Has anyone else had this happen to their G4 power supply? Apple's issued recalls on G3 power supplies, but I hadn't heard of any problems with the G4.

In any case, if you've got one of these, check it closely and keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I would report it to apple now and request a replacement and take no pussyfooting around.
That could have resulted in much worse scenario.
Ym glad it was just the adapter.
Mark

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will be reporting it to Apple in the morning. I spoke with my supplier about it and I had a new power supply within a hour so at least the computer is up and running and seems to be fine.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
You are not the first reported case of this.. a lot of Apple power "bricks" "round thingies" or others have had problems.. they seem to have a lot of defects and tend to overheat.. right till now.. I haven't had a problem with mine, but it stays on my desk 99% of the time. Therefore, I am not lugging it around and pulling on the wire and such all the time.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for the pointer, I'll keep a close eye on mine. Glad your ti is ok.
can someone confirm the white "brick" power supply has 2 versions, one 45W and the newer one is 65W?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My TiBook's yo-yo doesn't have a wattage rating written on it. All I have is:

Model number M7332
AC Input 1.2A
Output 24V (1.875A)

I'm too lazy to research the specs right now...

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Coyote, as a side thread, where do you get Mac stuff in Cambridge?
Thanx,
Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've sent Apple an email informing them of my power supply woes yesterday and posted it on their discussion board. We'll see if Apple responds.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
The "round thingies" are known as YoYos

Good thing you caught that coyote, my biggest fear in my home is one of may many machines doing the same thing and bringing my estate down to a smouldering remnant...

*shudder*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts