Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't heard of any complaints like those from AlPB users. How long has it been out? Everyone must be enjoying theirs and are too busy to post :cool:

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Well a quick search on white spots might change your opinion. Not really sure what the outcome willb e but it's a big time problem. Not just for Apple tho. :cool:

That said overall very nicely made machines. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Macdoc, have yet to hear of any of the infamous "white spots" on the new iBooks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
macdoc, I did a quick search on white spots and iBooks and found nothing. Seems the biggest problem is with 15" Powerbooks. Do you have any links to back up your thoughts on iBooks? My daughter wants to buy one and I would rather avoid a problem if this is really the case.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Oops can't read - ignore

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Macdoc, what can Oops read? Did you show him the word "ignore" on a flashcard, out of context? Did you force him to utilize grapho-phonic cues instead of syntactic/semantic cues? It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Using one right now, I can say that the G4 iBooks are SMASHING. It is an absolute dream to use.

Although it's the low end one, I don't care, its still wonderful. My only problems have been Airport related.

But there is good news, having just been to Future Shop today (My dad went to pick up some CDs), I tried the keyboard on the G3 iBook they had left. I can say for certain that the keyboard on the iBook G4 is a heck of a lot better. Not quite the keyboard on the 12" AlPB, but really, really, really good.
I know a lot of people complained about the keyboards on the latest iBook revisions, which weren't quite up to par as the previous versions.

No stuck pixels, and near no problems here. The only thing I dislike about this iBook is that its not mine, but at least it is in my charge

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Possession is 9/10s the law..........at least in ehMacLand. Can't say what Alberta law says on the issue. Still, there are many bones of Mac-rustlers scattered along Macleod Trail who were confronted with this possession issue.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The G3 ones I've tried have felt mushy, unlike the iBooks that debuted after the Clamshell editions. This one, feels much more like those iBooks and almost like the 12 Powerbook one but not quite. It's very, very comfortable and the keys provide enough resistance so its not mushy, but not too much so as to make it seem you are using a typewriter. Your best bet, is to go down to a local Apple reseller and try out the different keyboards. Although I do believe the keyboard I tried at Future Shop was much more mushy then it should be.

This doesn't mean the G3 iBook's keyboards are bad, just not as good as the new ones. (IMO)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Chealion, any further comments/observations/speculations re the new iBooks???

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the iBooks is the fact that
it doesn't have a pcmcia slot, From a digital photographers
point of view...This is a major setback for a laptop.

The nagging question of the white spots on the
Powerbooks will also be an issue holding me back from
upgrading to a Powerbook that has the much desired
pcmcia slot.

Until the white spot problem is resolved...I'll be sticking
with my antiquated Lombard for all my digital darkroom
needs in the future.

Someday I'll get a built in CD burner.

Dave :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Dolawren, many of the newer digital cameras are coming with a USB2 port. Which would be faster re a download? Personally, it is not an issue for me, I am just curious.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
MasterBlaster, I don't understand your previous post. I did not see the movie, so maybe that is the missing piece. Please elaborate. Merci.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Dolawren, many of the newer digital cameras are coming with a USB2 port. Which would be faster re a download? Personally, it is not an issue for me, I am just curious.
The method of transferring the images from my camera to
a device is not from the camera itself, I prefer to transfer
the images by way of the actual flash card.

Transferring the images from the flash card is a far more
less cumbersome method of transferring than the bulky
and finicky method of turning the camera into a reader with
a cable, Once you have used a pcmcia outlet on a laptop...
There is no turning back.

Dave :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Dolawren, I see your point. My question was pertaining to the rate of transfer, and the quality of that transfer (e.g., a RAW file). I personally don't subscribe to the idea of the new printers (e.g., Canon) that have the direct transfer of files directly to the printer. In this way, I have a feeling that far too many questionable pictures will be printed off. This is beneficial for the printer maker, but not the photographer. Just my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.