1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm really stunned too... Even more when I see that the 12 inches model with a 800 MHz G4 is only 1500 $CAN, comes with a slot-loading combo drive, USB 2.0 ports, is Airport Extreme ready and comes with Panther...

I paid 350 $ more for the last G3 model... :(

Anyone want my iBook?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I noticed there's also a small change in the eMac line : there's only two model now, both at 1 GHz : one with a Combo drive (and a 40 Gb HD) and one with a superdrive (and a 80 Gb HD)...

I never saw these two coming....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh my gosh! I'm shocked!!! :eek:

I can't believe the good stuff lies within the 14" models...I thought 12" were the most popular. Wow.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, maybe there's not a 12' with a 1 GHz G4 because Apple doesn't want to kill the Powerbook sales...

·
Registered
645 Posts
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

All I can say this changes my mind for going with a 15" Powerbook. For what I need that iBook 14" 1Ghz is looking really good right now. Heck the 14" 933Mhz for $1799 is looking mighty find at that price

This is a kick ass product from Apple!!!

Way to go Apple!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I guess this is finally the death of CD-ROM on the Mac, then.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I noticed one more thing...

The Combo drive eMac is now 1099 $! That's what I call a deal!

Guess I could buy this one.... :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I think about it... I could say that I have the most powerful G3 computer ever produced by Apple

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
this is a good good effort from Apple....finally a redesign, a faster bus, faster chip, USB 2 etc...and a huge price drop...and not only on the ibook but the Emac..they must be going for some serious education sales too because now those prices are very attractive for students...this was a very good move for Apple...and I say WOW too! cheers, Mark

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
HOT damn! Low prices for the power, too! And finally-- DDR SDRAM! The Radeon 9200 looks awesome, too. 1 GHz 14.1" *drooool* ;)
This officially ends the G3 line from Apple. :confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
sweet, sweeeeet slot-loading drives...

they've reduced the amount of L2 cache (from the old ibooks) though. do you think that would have been for heat/power concerns? will the G4 & faster bus speed up the books enough to make a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the current G3s?

i understand they don't want 512K L2 cache when that's the same as what the powerbooks have...

all in all, looks good for people wanting a cheaper mac notebook! happy with my G3 for now, but they always leave you wanting more...

·
Registered
438 Posts
awwww crap.... and i just bought a used ibook 700.... hehe, imactheknife.. wanna gimme back some of that $?.. hhehehe! i wonder what is gonna happen to used iBook G3 prices now...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
i wonder what is gonna happen to used iBook G3 prices now...
No doubt they'll sink like rocks in water. The iBook G4's are very competivily priced - and loaded to boot. Unfortunatly, you only save $100 on an educational purchase (iBook G4).

[ October 22, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Great!

Just when my inner spender convinced my inner miser that I should go out and buy a PB next week (my first Mac), the iBooks updated and the war begins again.

At first glance, the major primary difference seems to be SuperDrive availability, but what am I not seeing?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Still only 640 ram ? I don't know...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts