Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, all 1 GB in size DIMM's are expensive as a bitch, but wait 2 years, and they'll be more "affordable." So I think. ;) Investing in these large DIMM's as of right now isn't a very cost-effective thing.

However, this large SO-DIMM does break the Apple 640 MB maximum, bringing it up to 1.15 GB max. Now no one has to complain about the lousy 640 MB limit. ;) Of course, we can complain about the extreme price tag on these 1 GB SO-DIMM's. :D

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
what does SO-DIMM stand for? i've seen it everywhere lately and it's driving me nuts. is it just an SD Ram slot?

·
Registered
359 Posts
If it wasn't exspensive, you wouldn't want it.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
SO-DIMM is short for Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module. See, all these years on ehMac has taught me a thing or two.
At first I thought that it stood for Small Oblong Dachshund In Moi Maison...............but Macdoc set me straight.

[ November 13, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Dr.G. ]

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This is awesome news.. Oddly enough, I was reading about this the minute before I came here.

Although a little pricey, this would be the last Ram chip you would buy for a little while. They want $1000-$1500 on this side of the border, but $449 US?? Esp with the USD where it stands now? Not too bad. This is the news that will make my call a little tougher on the next lap. This was one of the reasons I was slowly not considering the G4 iBook for purchase. Now?? :confused: Deal looks a touch sweeter...

H!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I first I thought that it stood for Small Oblong Dachshund In Moi Maison...............but Macdoc set me straight.
LOL!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
Lars, knowledge is power. I have learned more about Mac computers in my stay here in ehMacLand than I could have on my own. And it was for free!!!!!!!!!! All I had to do was to post a question, and the MacMavens of ehMacLand were there with answers and opinions.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It bothers me a little that when these models ship with 256Megs, that it's not in one chip--most people today (okay, ehMackers anyway) want lots of RAM, and end up just keeping the 'extra' 128 in an electrostatic bag on the shelf. The big powerbooks ship with one 512M chip, and it's removable.
I'd like to call the Apple store and ask for a special order--an iBook G4 with 128 Megs of RAM. Because I don't want to pay $50 or whatever for the 128M RAM I'm not using, and I don't want to pay their prices for the 512 Meg chip. I know that's being cheap, but fifty bucks is fifty bucks and it's just going to waste...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts