1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a better configuration:

1.25 GHz G4 (Single) 1 MB L3 Cache
512 MB DDR-333 (PC-2700) 1-DIMM
nVidia Geforce 4 Ti w/128 MB DDR-SDRAM (4X-AGP)
Price: $2,096.00

or...

1.25 GHz G4 (Dual) 2 MB L3 Cache/Processor
256 MB DDR-33 (PC-2700) 1-DIMM
ATI RADEON 9000 Pro w/64 MB DDR-SDRAM (4X-AGP)
Price: $2,069.00

Pratically the same price - all other specs equal. One has more RAM and a far better graphics card, but the other has less RAM, worse video card, but boosts dual processors and bigger cache. Which is better? I'm looking at a $2000.00 limit without taxes just out of curosity.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey Lars, I think the dual would be the way to go..the reason being is that I think panther is more optimised for duals and will take advantage of dual cpu's..you can always budget for a better card and more ram...where as the other which is still a good deal I think would be limited in performance one panther is released compared to the dual...thats why I am hanging on to my dual 800 right now..I think you would be happy with the dualie..most people that have them would never go back to single config..Mark

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dual all the way.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Definitely the dual. Besides the video card and the RAM, which can easily be upgraded, the dual has a "2 MB L3 Cache/Processor" whereas the single has 1 MB.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I totally disagree. I think you should go dual.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally disagree. I think you should go dual.
No one has said go single yet... who do you disagree with? :D

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Dual! Dual!

You can add ram and get a better graphics card later, if you find you need to.

Good luck finding an economical way to add cache and a second processor to the single.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I went dual and I'll NEVER go back.

Of course the 256 ram made it frighfully slow untill I put in 1.75 gigs worth.

Definately Dual baby!

·
Registered
273 Posts
When comparing the 2 powermac's in this post I have to look at the larger picture. The computers are the exact same price BUT, the DUAL G4 is by far the better machine for the money. You can add more RAM to the computer that doesn't have enough. You need 1 GIG RAM these days on OS X with most graphics apps anyways. But you can't add more horse power to the SINGLE G4 powermac. The DUAL is just flat out a speedier computer, it has a larger cache to help speed things along. As for the video card. If you play games on your MAC and are that serious about needing power in this category then you should probably be upgrading both the single and dual G4 boxes video cards. My old G4 DUAL 867 MDD came with a 32 MEG nVidia geForce 4MX card and it was just fine. But I don't play games on my MAC's. When I sold my DUAL G4 I'm glad I didn't spend money upgrading the video card as I couldn't be able to use any of the older G4 video cards in my shiney new G5!
--------------------------------------------------
"You've got to get through that door!" - Johnny Depp in Ed Wood

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just to be a devil's advocate, I wonder if the two machines are the same generation? You might recall all the bad press about the noise level of the early MDD's. I don't know if that would bother you, but it would sure bother me! The other consideration is whether one of the machines is dual boot and the other is not. If you need to start up in OS 9 for anything, that could be a real problem. A friend of mine recently bought the latest 1.25 MDD. I'm impressed with it; the noise level is definitely lower than that of my Quicksilver and a Yikes I owned earlier, and it's dual boot and very fast. She paid about $300 less than the price you quoted, but she has less RAM and a less potent video card.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Hello?!

DUAL!!! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts