Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hopscotch Champion
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a 15" Studio Display to go with my 11 year old G4 350 (Sawtooth, AGP).
Turns out the Card I had did not have an ADC port.

I bought this card:
MAC G4 109-72700-02 ATI RAGE 128 16MB AGP CARD VGA ADC
only to find out that the VGA port on it works perfectly but after I hooked up the Studio display to the ADC port nothing happens. (Screen doesn't light up at all)

I've unplugged power, held the power switch for 10 seconds and then hit the CUDA. Done the pram, tried booting into OS 9 instead of OSX Jaguar. I tested the USB ports on the back of the display, no power.

I have NOT installed drivers for this card as I haven't been able to find them online. Is this something I need to do, or is this type of AGP card non-compatible with the G4 Desktop? I can only find reference to it being a cube card.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
There is no AGP power on your version of the g4 as it was basically a G3 with a G4 chip in that early model.

You will have to move to a G4 tower or better a G5 tower to use the 15"

·
Hopscotch Champion
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MacDoc, I noticed the extra pins that had no plug for it on the G4. I do know that mine is the second generation G4-350, not quite as bad as the first ones, it's the Sawtooth CPU.

I've been holding out hope for finding a G4 Cube to add to my legacy macs, but no joy yet.

I'll bring the AGP card in to work and try it out on the G5 Tower.

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts

·
Hopscotch Champion
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that link pm-r.

Looks like I'll be waiting for a cube to pop up for sale in Toronto.

I'll just have to take the seller's word that the display works perfectly for now.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Better to just get an ADC- DVI video adapter and run two monitors,
That's what I did on my old Sonnet upgraded Sawtooth with a dual head ATI 64 mb video card.

You can also get a ADC - VGA dongle adapter as well if you want,
Put some of those old VGA monitors back to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts