Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...I have a few questions that I thought I'd just ask all at once...sorry I'm a newbie...

does anyone know if you can hook up a typical CRT (19" 0r 21") to the new 17" powerbook? The powerbook has the wide format screen so (if it can) does it transfer to a full screen on a CRT?...and can you use any brand?

Also, any idea if I'll be able to use my *sorry*...microsoft natural keyboard pro (ps/2 and usb both needed), and my Intellimouse optical (USB)?? I have no idea about hardware issues with Macs yet...sorry!

...what is the "velocity engine" and why is it a good thing?

What's a pc card/cardbus slot (type I and type II) used for??

ok...that's all for now
lol

Hope I didn't annoy anyone (I promise...once I get up to speed I'll be a giver...not just a taker ;)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The PowerBook 17" has a DVI connector for a second monitor so it can hook up to a Digital LCD monitor, and it also comes with a DVI->VGA connector for CRT displays. You can set up the second display for either mirroring (same thing on both screens) or extended desktop (different stuff on either screen).

The intellimouse Optical should be fine, just go get the newest OS X drivers from the Microsoft.com/mac, the Natural Keyboard Pro I thought only needed the USB connector, not both. If it is just USB as I suspect then yes, it will work fine if it needs the PS/2 adapter then maybe *if* you can find a PS/2->USB adapter (which I have never seen) that is mac compatible.

The Velocity Engine is a part of the G4 processor also known as Altivec. it allows the G4 to process data in 128 bit chunks and has allowed the G4 to keep up with other processors even though it does have the same high numbers of MHz.

A CardBus/PCMCIA slot is found on pretty much all laptops these days, it is the paltop equivelant of a PCI slot. It allows for hardware upgrades and add ons. On a PC you would normally use it for a wireless card, or adding firewire or USB2.0. Just about the only thing I can think of for a Mac would be adding USB2.0 as Airport (wireless) has its own slot (and is included on the 17" PowerBook) and FireWire is integrated into every Mac.

--PB

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geez...One person answered all my questions! Thanks a lot Posterboy for you help...cleared a few things up!

My keyboard has a usb the other round plug...I assumed I had to plug them both in?? (I thought the round plug was for the button functions that are on the keyboard - mail, volume, web...etc)??! I'll try it with just one and see what happens (my cord splits into the two types of plugs...it wasn't like it came with an adaptor or something)

Just a question if I plug in the CRT...since the laptop has the "widescreen" style...what will it look like on my crt? Will it just adjust to fill the whole screen proportionally?

(p.s. I don't want to mirror...I want to use the second screen for all the toolbars etc.)

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>CardBus/PCMCIA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This slot can also be used for Flash Cards, the ones you take out of digital camera's. Though it is just as easy to connect your camera directly. But if you have alot of pictures and lots of Flash Cards it could be just as easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>DVI on Powerbook 17"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can attach a third party LCD directly to the DVI port as long as the third party LCD has a DVI connector.

but...

If you would like to connect an Apple Display (17" is a good companion but the 20" is beautiful
) you will need to also purchase the Apple DVI-to-ADC Kit. As the Apple display uses the ADC connection.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
When mirroring the external monitor (both screens show the same thing; ie for a presentation) you will probably have dark bands on the more square CRT.

Setting up the monitor as an extension is different. You will have both monitors at whatever resolution you choose (or is best). All will become clear when you hook 'em up and go to the monitors control panel.

Don't be afraid to use Mac Help; it is way friendlier and much more helpful than Microsoft Help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts