Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little heads up on anyone looking for that deal on a wi-fi router. I have this one, and intsalled it in the office. I may get this one for the household. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I also have a netgear router (RP114, not WiFi) sitting on my desk and I can vouch for its quality. It has been sitting on my desk for almost a year and half without need for any administration. Much like my ABS v.1 has been.

--PB

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I have been researching wi-fi routers an their support of appletalk for a while now.

note: this particular model does not support appletalk (Airport Card) over wireless.

this info. from netgear's website
the older 314 model did but it is no longer available. :rolleyes:

almost all routers will route appletalk over the wired portion.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
If you are in Toronto there is an even better deal on an SMC 70004AWBR wireless router at Canada Computers. I bought one last weekend for $99 (no rebate required).
This is an older model that supports only 11Mbps wirless, but it has a serial port for a modem as well as a print server. There are four 10/100 ethernet ports.
It supports appletalk over wireless. The modem connection also works like a charm. I haven't tried the print server yet but I suspect it will only work on a Windows based system.
Setup is done via a web browser so it is easily done on a Mac.
Canada Computers also has some of the newer SMC wireless routers on sale too. I don't know if the newer/faster models support Appletalk or have the serial and parallel ports.
If the original wireless speed is fast enough then this is an incredible deal.
I bought mine at the store on College Street near the Kensington market. It looks like they also have an outlet at the Pacific Mall in Toronto and one in Kingston, Ont.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Linksys is basically perfection. Latest tech inside -- not half assed and are futurized -- cheap routers lack in areas you might not think about. Get something that's supported immensely. Get a Linksys. They're cheap now compared to 2 years ago. Pay the extra $100 and get something that will support tomorrow and not just today. Cisco bought 'em out, that's makes it all even better. They will be around in the future, while others won't.

Apple charges too much for their routers. Oops clichéd. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomac, which Linksys did you p/u? Didn't have a good experience with them, but I can't write them off all together. But pls expound.

BTW, a Q? to all: we have the a, b, an g standards in wi-fi. Is a card meant for a 'b' network going to work w/ an 'a' standard router? what does the compatibility chart look like? I know that a 'g' card witll work with the 'b' router (and 'g' obviously). just trying to make it out easily. Holla.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Back in August 2001, picked up a Linksys Wireless router (BEFW11S4) and was really bloody expensive -- I think around $400. :eek: b and g will not work with a unless they're dual-band and . b and g are backwards compatible at the expense of speed if you mix 'em. I know of some dual-band pc cards and routers that can do a and b. NETGEAR WAB501 dual-band PC card is just one of them but is somewhat expensive. Linksys WAP51AB Instant wireless dual-band access point is a dual-band a/b router. I'm pretty darn sure you might find a tri-band a/b/g -- probably exists but I'm guessing pretty expensive. Do a search or check out CNET for more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts