Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Impressions so far:

Things I Love:
* The "12 home pages" montage. HANDY & slick.
* The speed. Wow.
* 1Password continues to work. Yay.
* Just found out about the "zoom" feature courtesy Mr. Mayor. For older eyes this is going to be HUGE news (pun intended!).

Things I Don't Love:
* The size of the tabs. I don't mind them on top (though I think I prefer them on bottom, but change is good sometimes), but they look funny if you don't have half-a-dozen open.
* My adblockers no longer work (I'm just using a stylesheet to block the obnoxious flash ads for now).
* Loss of the "blue progress bar." I prefer it, though I admit that with this speed, it's not as much of an issue as it could have been.

Hasn't interfered with my Mail or anything like that, so I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Impressions so far:

Things I Love:
* The "12 home pages" montage. HANDY & slick.
* The speed. Wow.
* 1Password continues to work. Yay.
* Just found out about the "zoom" feature courtesy Mr. Mayor. For older eyes this is going to be HUGE news (pun intended!).

Things I Don't Love:
* The size of the tabs. I don't mind them on top (though I think I prefer them on bottom, but change is good sometimes), but they look funny if you don't have half-a-dozen open.
* My adblockers no longer work (I'm just using a stylesheet to block the obnoxious flash ads for now).
* Loss of the "blue progress bar." I prefer it, though I admit that with this speed, it's not as much of an issue as it could have been.

Hasn't interfered with my Mail or anything like that, so I'm keeping it.
Agreed with everything and it doesnt harm my mail. However my Bowtie iTunes app seemed to look funky at late, hmmmm. Safari 4 FTW!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I got an email today from Bank of Montreal that my account had been deleted, and I needed to click on a link to update my information quickly. :rolleyes:

Went to click on Junk Mail, but then thought I could try out new anti-phishing feature. Clicked the link and sure enough:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Went to click on Junk Mail, but then thought I could try out new anti-phishing feature. Clicked the link and sure enough:
That was working in Safari 3.2.1 just for the record. :)

24 hours later, I'm definitely leaning against the tab change and the "busy wheel" idea, but LOVING the "wall o web" and the zoom. I note with interest that MacPilot's latest update, out today, promises Safari 4 features. Can't wait to try that out.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
For Mac Pilot users, there is a new update release which may allow for certain changes in Safari 4. You might want to check it out.
Oops. I didn't see your post.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well Safari 4 beta worked great till this afternoon, now it start crashing and keeps asking me to relaunch or report to apple, which I did, now I'm back to the old version.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not sure if this is related, but since yesterday or the day before (either way it was after installing the beta), my currency converter in dashboard is mixed up between Canadian dollars and Brunei dollars. Basically if I want to know something's value in CAD I need to select Brunei dollars....

Does that happen to anyone else?

Patrix.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Not sure if this is related, but since yesterday or the day before (either way it was after installing the beta), my currency converter in dashboard is mixed up between Canadian dollars and Brunei dollars. Basically if I want to know something's value in CAD I need to select Brunei dollars....
Heh. That's a rip-off. ;)

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts

Patrix.
Not related to Safari 4 - there is a tip today over at macosxhints.com regarding some errors in the currency converter and also a discussion in their forum section.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not related to Safari 4 - there is a tip today over at macosxhints.com regarding some errors in the currency converter and also a discussion in their forum section.
Whoa thanks! I've been on 10.5.6 for a while though, not sure why I never noticed it before. And yes I use the widget almost daily for currency conversion, so I woulda noticed it before I think... Either way, the Hint worked perfectly, and I thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Patrix.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Patrix.
Mine went to Chilean Pesos. I'm not kidding

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Ooh, thanks for that! I just noticed this today, had to do some US-Canada currency conversions and noticed they were wrong.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm starting to have problems with Safari now, with broken up pages, text lined out, etc. Very frustrating since I like the new Safari so much. Beta, sigh...:(

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I'm starting to have problems with Safari now, with broken up pages, text lined out, etc. Very frustrating since I like the new Safari so much. Beta, sigh...:(
Au contraire, the beta is running beautifully for me. I find I like the tabs at the top and appreciate the few pixels of extra screen real estate (MBA). The tabs-at-top wasn't in the alphas, so I took the approach of not being xenophobic and trying it.

There is an interesting, reasoned discussion of the S4b features by Dan Frakes at Safari?s new tabs: Good or bad? | E-mail and Internet | Editors' Notes | Macworld.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Safari is beautiful for me!

I even have HotSpot Shield working and have all those annoying ads turned off. Watched an episode of Family guy last night and everything was fine.

I've noticed that Safari4 loads pages differently. It loads them more like Camino. All these lines pop up until all the images load.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I still haven't made up my mind about the new tabs. I like that it saves space but I keep looking for them in their old location. Might take some getting used to. Really am enjoying the speed boost overall.

Reinstalled the adblockers and voila, they work! Schweeet!
@chas_m: Cool. :clap: Which adblocker do you use? I didn't realize there was one for Safari.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I tried to buy an eBook from Fictionwise last night and their site kept bouncing me around in circles and I couldn't complete the purchase even though I went through the whole PayPal thing and so on. PayPal didn't charge me so something on Fictionwise is borked when using Safari 4.

Finally switched to Fusion and IE in WinXP and the purchase went through without a hitch.

I've written to Fictionwise about the problem.

I didn't try other browsers on the Mac side to see if they work.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
IE on XP. Ouch.
You know you've hit rock-bottom in site design when that's what users have to resort to.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts