Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm speechless, I cannot believe how powerful this is! Too bad Sympatico does not offer unlimited bandwidth plans anymore -- I'd be streamin' tunes non-stop. :cool:

[ May 05, 2003, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Tomac ]

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Thanks for the link!

But... the usual concern... security? Anyone have a comment? I also wonder how this service deals with dynamic IP addresses, or if it can?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey Pgant, thanks for the link. Has anyone else had problems with the network constantly stalling? The music stream was being continually rebuffered. I'm on dsl.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The rebuffering is probably due to a heavy load on the streaming server. I would just try to use another one. The first one I tried was heavily loaded and the stream was choppy, but the second one was excellent. I streamed music for hours without having to rebuffer.

Anyone see this: http://itunes.the-m.net/

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Wow... very cool. Does this constitute as "personal use". Wonder what the record companies think of this?

I did notice, new songs purchased from the Apple Music Store can not be shared. (Only on 3 authorized Macs)

Pretty cool. (Listening to Daniel from Elton John)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
But you can stream them or share them, right? I thought you just could not copy to more than three machines? Please explain mister mayor.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
An article in MacObserver states:
Note: There are several things that you need to keep in mind when using this feature. First of all, please realize that sharing this music requires a great deal of bandwidth (as it is essentially streamed to the listener) and thus could drop in and out depending on connection speed and network congestion.

Keep in mind that this is a little (very little) like the radio feature in iTunes but if you set up a radio station you are setting up a server, designed to serve, this share feature is by no means capable of multiple share serving...... yet!?!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I don't know myself, t'was asking a question.. when Stevo announced this feature, he emphasized it was for "personal use".

Radio etc, is just streaming the music, but you still need to have a license to broadcast the music. Wondering how this fits.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
This MacObserver article also tells you how you open the iTunes Port (3689) and keep Mac OS X Software Firewall still active.

This port also needs to be open if you want to share via Rendezvous and Mac OS X Software Firewall is on. I was having problems with this until I read this article that came via PGant, thanks for the link.

http://macobserver.com/article/2003/04/28.14.shtml

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I was playing around with the sharing last week and am quite impressed with it.

If you use a hardware firewall or router you will also have to forward that port (3689) to your iTunes Mac.

My one real complaint is that iTunes doesn't remember the shares that you have connected and I haven't found a built in "favourites" tool.

I found an OS X app that acts as a database for daap:// servers, but it doesn't have anything to keep track of currently running servers. YMMV

ServerStore

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Man, 5 users streaming high quality mp3's adds up to a lot uplink bandwidth. Most ISP's don't like the uplink to be very high. I had a "burp" in my usage around Christmas that spiked my monthly upload at about 60GB's.

I got a couple of emails from my ISP, but they didn't shut me down... I was quite furious that they singled me out until I looked at my numbers for the previous few months...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow, I didn't think that the sharing would be as good as it is now. It'll be absolutely great in that you can have all your songs at home and listen to them at work if need be or vice versa. Is there anyway to stream the lists onto a PC as of yet, as during the summer I have to use a PC, and if I can play my music from my Mac, it would be 10 times better.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well, I'm now streaming :cool:

This is sweet.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Chealion,

It's fairly easy to stream a particular MP3 to a Windows machine (provided you can determine the "magic url" iTunes generates for that particular MP3). I'm not aware of any software package that allows you to browse through all of the tracks available on a particular machine, though.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
jfpoole, How would you find the "magic URL" or can you point me to any places that can help me learn of this "magic url"?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts