Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room mate wanted to buy me some software for my birthday, and being a PC guy he decided that Future Shop was the right place to go.

We got there, and I asked for the Mac section. We were taken to the hardware section and shown an iMac. Todd explained that we were after software.

"We don't sell any mac software, nobody would buy it" the sales weasle says.

This guy did not even understand the concept of dual OS titles (ie from Blizzard, bless their souls)

I convinced Todd to buy Panther for me when it hits the shelves.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Why any self-respecting Mac user would go to Future Shop, of all places, for anything Mac-related is beyond me.

Spare yourself the anguish and support your local Mac dealer. :D

Good luck! Mmmmmmmm...Panther!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why ? I bought a CD-RW (internal) for $30+tax the other week. I bought a 30GB HD for about the same price at the same time. I could have bought a Pioneer A-05 for $159 at the time but I already have one (ouch that hurt) in my main machine.

Sometimes the Mac only stores take advantage of peoples ignorance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sometimes the Mac only stores take advantage of peoples ignorance.
Sometimes? In my experience, just about every time I walk into one. The prices are indeed not competitive.

To be fair Futureshop and such prey on you as well.

Whenever looking for computer parts the best strategy is:

1) Check with ehMac for the best item to suit your needs (i.e. price, durability, reliability)

2) Shop around for the store with the best price. In Toronto I usually shop at Sonnam. The place it ugly and dumpy, and they know squat about Macs, but the deals are usually great.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I hate to say it but I'd prefer to purchase routers, HD's etc. from Future Shop over some of the Local Apple resellers. I find some of the Apple reseller take advantage of those who don't do there homework and shop around especially on third party hardware. Its not fair to say this is always the case but every dollar conuts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
CompuSmart has unique Mac booth in all branches. I suggest those people wanting to buy Mac products in Canada, go to CompuSmart rather than Futureshop. Refer to http://www.compusmart.com if you wanna find out nearest branch from your residence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Britnell completely. Future Shop in my area is notorious for slamming Macs. What some of these sales reps have said to me regarding Apple verges on the ridiculous. The lone eMac that they stuff at the very back of the computer section is either off or badly messed up. When I ask to see it, they say it's either not working or they're not sure as to how to fix it. I have complained to Future Shop head office, but that's another story entirely.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a good question.

Who is it that decides what makes it in the flyers?Last week they FINALLY advertised an iBook 900 here.This morning,nothing. :rolleyes:

Why does Apple bother with them if they are going to treat their product so badly?I hate to say it but give Zellers/WalMart some Emacs and just watch them fly off the shelves.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't think WalMart would want Apple's products. With their regulated pricing structure I don't think they could get enough price advantage to give them something to work with.

And Zellers.... who are they again

They seem to be disappearing from alot of malls lately. I think they are in the same corporate family as KMart.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
It's not that the Future Shop personnel "slam" Macs....it's just that they are not particularly trained well. I've bought printers, cables and routers from our local FS store...and found the salespeople not very knowledgeable about anything. They are just there to sell product. I never ask for assistance, rather scour the colourful flyer and grab what I need.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
It's not that the Future Shop personnel "slam" Macs....it's just that they are not particularly trained well. I've bought printers, cables and routers from our local FS store...and found the salespeople not very knowledgeable about anything. They are just there to sell product. I never ask for assistance, rather scour the colourful flyer and grab what I need. I wonder if FS and Canadian Tire are owned by the same conglomerate?

·
Registered
645 Posts
How the $%^& is only being there to sell an item EVEN acceptable business practice? If all those sales people at Future Shop are hired based on being STUPID and no need to know anything about the products being sold, then they all should be fired. I mean it seems that way these days. More stores are hiring based on who can sell more items then who actually knows anything on the products. It is quite sad to see that acceptable as a society in North America.

Why is it that I as a customer have to do the explaining to another customer on the product they are interested in buying because the sales person doesn't know anything? :mad:

·
Banned
97 Posts
What wages do they pay these "Professional sales people?" 80 G a year?? It must be pretty tough to keep good reps if they get paid jack-squat, and keep moving from store to store whenever they get sick of looking at their fat-assed manager.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zellers is the baby brother to The Bay. Part of the HBC structure. Not related to the US owned Kmart.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Why is it that I as a customer have to do the explaining to another customer on the product they are interested in buying because the sales person doesn't know anything?
That's because the smart sales people don't want to work at a job that pays minimum wage for a conservative 60 hour work week, All the smart sales people are working for higher wages at a Liberal 48 hour work week.

Dave :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts