ehMac banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
That's a good question. I'll do a full backup to my USB drive using CC and see what happens. I assume it'll just treat the Fusion drive as a single volume and clone it over as if it were a single drive. Restoring it might be slight different on a new machine as you'd likely have to configure the fusion drive volumes prior to restoring it.

·
Premium Member
15,379 Posts
That's a good question. I'll do a full backup to my USB drive using CC and see what happens. I assume it'll just treat the Fusion drive as a single volume and clone it over as if it were a single drive. Restoring it might be slight different on a new machine as you'd likely have to configure the fusion drive volumes prior to restoring it.

Hmmm..., this reminds me of some Star Wars type episode that went something like 'we're about to enter some unexplored and untested territory here Captain' - proceed at your calculated risk replied the commander. ;)

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
First problem. I can't seem to complete a clone using CCC. Granted the version I have is the older 'free' version not the newer App Store copy so I'm not sure that would fix things but as it is CCC hangs about 3/4 the way though a full backup.

Trying TimeMachine now.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
Time Machine backup fails as well. Both CCC and TM lock up the machine while doing the backups so I'm going to revert back to my default SSD + HHD setup until things settle out. Its fun to be on the bleeding edge but I need this machine to "just work".

·
Premium Member
15,379 Posts
Maybe drop Mike Bombich the CCC developer a note and ask.

I'm sure he'll have a suggestion and help. Maybe with a newer CCC update version, and maybe ante up to the latest version if you never donated. Still cheap for a proper working backup IHMO and it just may work with the CCC 5.5.1 version, and it has a 30 day trial (that can be extended if needed in unpaid mode for the real cheapskates). ;)

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
i would have bet good money that CCC would have failed even without hearing your issues. TM surprises me a bit though.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
were you able to confirm that the drive was actually "fusing" as opposed to basically being JBOD? i only skimmed last night but looks like lloyd said its not truly "fusing" and he is usually pretty thorough (ie i take his word as basically gospel)

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I'm not sure to be honest...it appeared as a single volume but I don't know if it was using the SSD as a scratch drive or just part of the over all volume. That said I did do the speed test writing a 1 gig file to the desktop and that indicated it was writing/reading from the SSD and the volume was set up using coreStorage in diskutil.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts