Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just tried out the iSight cam with a friend via One way chat in iChat. The friend is the one who owns the iSight. first of all the image quality is no way as clear as Steve Jobs would like us to think. Not sure what is going on in that respect. We both have highspeed internet connection, could it be our video cards? He has an iBot that works and is crystal clear, where as the iSight is fuzzy. Full screen? That makes it even worse. (The iBot works flawlessly in iChat)

The holders look like iBongs :D My new nick name for them ;) On Apple's support site there are a few people who are saying that the holder for the cinema displays doesn't fit flush up against the monitor. The one guy even has an excellent picture of this. You actually have to GLUE the support stand down to any of the monitors or e-macs. The only clip you get is for the iBooks or Powerbooks.

Now on to the clip, the clip attaches to the iBook or Powerbook, however after trying several times to tighten the clip to my friends iBook we had no success. Maybe there is a trick to it? So even though the clip fits ok, the iSight will fall back a bit in the holder causing you to stand up a bit in order to see yourself on the web cam.

Now on to Apple's brilliant design of the holders. Here is a link from a user who had to use zipties to hold the iSight to the monitor :D link: http://homepage.mac.com/dayman/isight.jpg notice that the iBong (plastic holder) doesn't fit properly to the cinema display no matter which way you try. Apple also decided to use glue instead of a suction cup method. So, I wonder if there will be replacement parts if you decide to get a new monitor or Mac? Or break one?

After reviewing the iSight with my friend and just now with another friend, I have come to this conclusion.
Apple has designed a very expensive $219 plus tax toy that doesn't deliver high quality picture like in the WWDC demo. The stands are not what is expected from Apple who designs cool products. Now unless it is my system, iChat AV beta or the iSight that is causing the fuzzy and not so clear pictures I rate this product a 2 out 10 stars. Although the iBot does win hands down, it too was fuzzy but only at Full Screen.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've been playing with the iSight since Monday, and my only major complaint is that the white-balance is a bit off. The image quality is otherwise excellent, and the holder works well, too. You do know that the camera can tilt and swivel independent of the base, right?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfpoole,

Hmm.....yes I do know that the iSight can tilt and swivel independantly. I still don't understand why two of my friends in the US both come back with not so clear images, I mean there is some blurriness to the picture. That's why i don't understand why some people have a blurry pic and others get crystal clear pictures?

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Well..... I'm going to throw a few possibilities out there...

1/ Obvious: check the lens for contamination or a protective plastic overlay (?)

2/ Maybe some iChats have a focus problem?

3/ Can you post a pic so we have something more to go on?

A 'blurry' pic is likely to be a problem with the lens system. A 'pixelated' pic could be a transmission speed issue.

M

·
Registered
438 Posts
ya, and see how your preview pane looks... also, download another webcam program and test that out. maybe it is just ichat av that has bad picture quality since it is still in beta.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well as it seems the iSight is getting great reviews, and yet there are a handful of us that still can't get that quality of others.

Ok it isn't really that blurry, it is more like out of focus. You can make out the pic ok, but it seems like you need to focus the camera or something. He tried everything. We moved the camera back to see if it was maybe too close, that didn't help. The one thing I am thinking is the feedback from his end as he is using aiport and I'm using straight DSL connection. It has to be the way the information is being transferred. I can't think of anything else. My system is a G4 450 with the 16MB video card running Jaguar with 384MB of RAM. His is the 15" iMac 32 MB card etc.... except that he is using his airport station.

Anyone out there that has the camera I would love to see a test of it from your end with highspeed. I mean I was pretty excited to see Apple come out with such a product, and to be a lot better then the other web cams. But as usual I can't get things to work properly on my end :( .

Let me know if you're on tonight and what time via PM to test a one way chat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just ordered an iSight from the Apple.ca store for my 12" AlPB. Haven't received my shipping confirmation yet, but from what i've heard, Apple has a lot of these ready to ship out.

It's pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I conduct my business online, and i'm thrilled at the idea of online video meetings.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also why are there so many people who are complaining about the blurriness at Apple's support site? Other forums? What does it take to get a crystal clear picture like the one at WWDC that Steve Jobs did? Is it our machines? Video cards? RAM? Do we need a G5? :D Somebody has got to have the answer out there ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I figured out WHY Steve Jobs got such an excellent quality picture. First of all he was using Panther. Secondly he probably wasn't using a beta version (iChat AV). Maybe Panther fixes all these problems later on? I am interested in iSight but I want to make sure I am not getting something that only half works.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The biggest thing with cameras is light. Make sure the room is bright enough or is may look fuzzy/blurry. Not sure if that's the problem, but its a good tip in genereal.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Thanks to everyone for your input. ehMax thanks for the tip as that seems to be what the problem was. We tried it out today again during daylight hours where there was more light, and WOW!!!

His lighting isn't the greatest in the area of where the iMac sits at night. But during the day it works awesome.

So, now an updated review :D

The camera under excellent lighting has great picture quality. However, I think we will be seeing third party hardware for the stands in the future ;) .

I know I will enjoy my iSight when it arrives

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Also on lighting...make sure you are not back-lit by a window or another bright light source. This will hamper your vid quality too.

I am looking forward to Panther!

Anyone know if those silly, little coupons will be able to be used to get a discount on Panther?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
When you buy an OS update (for example Jaguar), it came with a sheet of 3 coupons... most likey for upgrading or something.

What exactly these did, who the heck knows. All I know is, I have had several sheets from the last 10 years and they've done absolutely squat for me.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Those would be the ones. I have no clue what the heck they do, but they should allow me to have a discount on the new UPDATE to OS X.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The coupons are indeed for "updates" discounts. Apple hasn't used them very often (but they do occasionally use them)

A perfect example of this would be Mac OS X 10.1

If you had the coupons form Mac OS 10.0, you could use the coupons to get a free copy of the Mac OS X 10.1 update CD. (This is how I got my 10.1)

:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts