1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
That article just confirms what I've written previously about iPhone rates in Canada. I stated we shouldn't be concerned. The rate will be good and in line with ATT.

Newcomers to the Mac platform don't entirely understand what it all means. There is a reason why there is almost a cult-like following. Unlike virtually any other tech company, Apple stands out. It's not simply because they make good products. It goes beyond that. Steve Jobs truly cares about the consumer and is not just out for a fast buck, though Apple is really raking it in these days. No, SJ is out to look after our welfare too. He went after the music industry and played hardball with them. We got out 99 cent music downloads. He went after the money grabbing wireless providers and managed to reign in ATT. He'll do the same with Rogers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
a little bird told me...

Unfortunately I cannot vouch for the following first hand but an acquaintance of mine that has a good friend working at Rogers said that his friend saw Apple branded boxes being delivered to a storage location. That same person hinted that there is a plan for August distribution in Canada. Due to high data rates I hope either Rogers will bow to the ATT model dictated by Apple or a Google/Apple wireless solution in Canada will arrive

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if we average out what everybody's friend in Rogers customer service says the date will be early October.
:lmao:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think if we average out what everybody's friend in Rogers customer service says the date will be early October.
What year? :lmao:

·
Registered
578 Posts
A friend of mine does the phone menus for Rogers and he's doing them for the iphone right now ("For the iphone data rape, press one").

Rock solid info.

Me, I'm getting out the hand creme over a possible Apple/Google takeover. Also not holding my breath.

There is so much hatred towards Rogers that the market is ready.

·
Registered
249 Posts
While I am getting giddy with joy over the idea of being able to get an iPhone, my credit card is beginning to look nervous with the upcoming purchase of a MacPro, FCS2 (upgrade) *and* potentially an iPhone... ;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just hope mr Jobs will force Roger's hand into creating a couple of iPhone plans like he did with ATT in the US. Otherwise the product will fail in Canada! I would continue using my unbricked iPhone on wifi and my SE Z710 on Fido in the city.

Guy:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
iPhone already here ?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/07/14/iphone.at.rogers/

This links to the Peterborough Call Center already having them on the floor, and are providing Canada wide support for ATT iPhone customers on the roam. My recent visit to the Markham office for Security Development, several of the top Executive Relations Management team are already activated on Rogers and using them, and after a quick look see the only difference that I could quickly identify was the sim cards for the USA ( ICCID ) numbers start with 8901 and the Rogers sims start with 8930. So I called Rogers, playing stupid and told them I just bought a new sim and needed to activate, the US sims are not registered on Rogers network and can not be, but the Rogers Sims register on AT&T.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not really news.... Already been discussed to death over here... http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/53859-iphone-canada.html

It's extremely unlikely that the Peterborough call centre is using Rogers-activated phones for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that if they're providing support for U.S.-based iPhone customers, they would need to have the same configuration.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well good evening guys and dolls.
I have one of the new iphones and i am at the moment useing it with one of the hacks,
But no phone operation.
only wifi/ ipod / video and such.
What my thoughts are, When the iphone does come to canada/ toronto.
will i be able to use it with the carrier which ever one it ends up being. rogers or what ever?

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's anybody's guess at this point. Traditionally, phones have been locked to a specific carrier, regardless of whether the manufacturer makes them available to multiple carriers. Then again, however, the iPhone is a completely different device in terms of how its locked to a particular network.

At this point, nobody's entirely sure how the locking works, but it's entirely possible that it's based completely in the firmware -- since the device was designed to be locked to an single carrier initially, and is only designed to be used with a close relationship with that carrier and Apple (via iTunes), it's entirely possible that the locking is simply built-in to the firmware, and therefore it is conceivably possible for a new firmware version to be released that would work on the Rogers network.

It's unlikely the devices are "hardware-locked" in any non-reversible way since Apple isn't probably too keen on maintaining separate production lines for separate carriers. They're going to produce one device, and it will either be locked through the version of the firmware that is placed on it (and/or iTunes activation processes), or there is some sort of subsidy lock code that is independent from the firmware (which is how just about every other cell phone works).

So the short answer is that it's entirely possible. However, I wouldn't buy an iPhone in the expectation that this is going to be an option, since nobody knows for certain, and it's equally possible that there is a carrier lock that is separate from the firmware.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.