1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a fridge and stove locally, trying to support local business
fridge installers set the fridge too close to the kitchen wall
coils touched wall and paint came off

company i bought it from are now disavowing any responsibility for this telling me they never set fridges up that close to a wall even though I have the owner of the company on record saying they have been doing it that way for 60 years, but now he recants and says they don't do that anymore

any ideas on what I can do?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
The paint behind the fridge? If so, don't bother with it beyond giving them a chance to fix their mistake. Stress, time etc.

Just use word of mouth (factually accurate) to relay your experiences to others so they have better information than you did before choosing a business.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
If it's the area behind the fridge, I'd say don't sweat it. From what you described, the damage doesn't sound very severe.

Just walk away from it... it's not worth your time or energy to deal with it, either with them or in the courts.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Repaint the wall and walk away. It's not worth the stress. Unless of coarse there is a significant dollar value attached to a couple of feet of drywall and some paint. It's behind the fridge, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Now here's a story....

My sister-in-law bought a house with a Sub-zero built-in fridge. These things are built in the house and take some skill to install properly. The original installer never put in the drip pan and, many years later, all of the floor joists have rotted from the constant drip of a self-cycling freezer. That's alot of water of a few years. Even though she wasn't the installing owner, her house insurance covered the damages since their inspector missed the potential for problems. Hello, new kitchen.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Most newer fridges do not have exposed coils....what the heck did you buy?

Fergettaboutit...move on. Not worth the BS. No one will know but you.

How's the IKEA kitchen, did the sales guy do a good job installing it?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most newer fridges do not have exposed coils....what the heck did you buy?

Fergettaboutit...move on. Not worth the BS. No one will know but you.

How's the IKEA kitchen, did the sales guy do a good job installing it?
lots of compliments on the IKEA kitchen
installer was excellent - very professional, unlike the fridge boys

I want to support local business, but have been disappointed too many times - local business don't know how to do business
too many "pig farmers" think they know how to run a business

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Moral of the story: always make a back-up of your house before installing anything. :)
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::D:lmao:

·
Registered
719 Posts
lots of compliments on the IKEA kitchen
installer was excellent - very professional, unlike the fridge boys

I want to support local business, but have been disappointed too many times - local business don't know how to do business
too many "pig farmers" think they know how to run a business
Installers are often always knuckle-draggers from a low cost sub contractor. NEVER assume they will protect your belongings (same principal with house movers - hover like crazy and make sure they see you following their every move.)

As for paint on the wall behind the fridge...who will ever see it? Most people don't even paint there because it's invisible...until, that is, you pull out the fridge to pick the dust and paint chips off the coils.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to admit my installers from Sears were very professional. They were on time; fast, and everything was placed according to my requirements. They did check to make sure there was at least two inches of space behind the fridge. I have one that does not have the coils on the back but the gentleman mentioned it is good to allow air circulation in the back.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience...

RtC

P.S. So how is the house and all? I didn't get the flyer yet for the ehMac house warming party...
MACSPECTRUM's house before and after thread

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.