Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been happy as a lark for about a year thanks to this link (see RGray post)
http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-t...ng-french-canadian-keyboard-layout-0-9-a.html

The French Can. layout was perfect: based on English (US or CAN) layout, with the French accents available but NOT as in Fr. Canadian-CSA, where, say, è is already in one piece, whereas in the Fren. Can. layout 09, you have to type a key to do the accent ` and then the e, to get to your end result è (des touches mortes we call them-dead keys).

So recently, I think something happened to the file, as the keys are acting out (for ex.: cmd-z closing Word for Mac windows instead of undoing latest action, or keys not responding as they did for [ and ], for ex.) and the problems remained even after removing the layout and reinstalling (of course, before figuring it was the layout, I had also removed and reinstalled Office altogether after testing the template and prefs...). When I remove the layout altogether and use native OS layouts, all is fine--except I don't have a good keyboard anymore!!!

Anyhow, if someone has a keyboard layout that could help me (or a method to modify my keyboard layout somewhat easily, as time is of the essence right now), I would be eternally grateful...

Mille mercis,

I.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sounds like a problem with your keyboard shortcuts. Have you tried going into System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse and checked out the shortcut list?

I've had a similar situation with the keyboard suddenly changing its behavior. Without my knowledge, it changed to "set F keys to standard keys". Going to the shortcut resolved the issue. Looks like everything just got all jumbled up for you, somehow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm

Dear MrsMime,
Thanks for your reply! Well, I have spent the whole night f***g around with everything I could think of that could be causing the problem, and I came to a few conclusions... The main issue is that cmd-z had somehow gotten switched for cmd-w, and some keys also seem to be not where they should be. Someone on another mess. board seemed to have the same issue using a Scandinavian keyboard layout, they didn't seem to have found a fix. But the main point, is that up to 2 days ago (and don't ask what has changed at this point, I honestly don't know!), all these commands were working fine with my Quebecois keyboard...

The commands are fine if I switch to the US keyboard layout! I don't know what happened, but I'll just get used to using different commands, what else can I do?!? If you got a better idea I'll welcome it... But it's definitely not a shortcut issue, since I've checked them out and reset them, nothing got fixed. And also, in that list, I haven't seen the cmd-z/cmd-w listed, so that I don't know how I could "program" these backto their previous functions...

Merci for trying to help, and if you know of a way to reconfigure cmd-z and cmd-w, I'd be grateful!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.