Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Moonsocket, Memorial University, here in St.John's, is also going wi-fi. We should have 15% coverage by Jan., with parts of the campus being added on re coverage every few months after that, until total coverage is implemented. The biggest university-wide coverage is the University of Georgia, in Athens, Georgia (where I got my Ph.D. in the days when high-tech was an IBM typewriter ball). This "umbrella" will cover much of Athens as well as the university.

Is Aliant involved in your Fredericton initiative? Fredericton, NB, especially in October, is one of my favorite of all Canadian cities.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr.G.
it doesnt look like any outside company is involved. rogers and aliant were asked if they thought this would hurt their business and they said no. i think its just set up by the city and im sure UNB has a hand in it too

on a side note, how to i connec to this? do i just leave my airport card on or do i have to set something else up?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well,well,well
reading the university paper here and they have an article on the new free WIFI network in downtown fredericton.
looks like itll be up at the regent mall also.
GET OUT YOUR POWERBOOKS AND IBOOKS FREDERICTONIANS!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Impressive.. who is offering the service?

Fredericton is always a city on the top of technology.. considering the University has a direct backbone connection.. they have the bandwidth to spare. Has the Fiber optic network in Fredericton been installed to link the University to the E-park thing up by the Regent Mall?

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it looks like the city is footing the bill!total city wide WIFI by december 31 2004 but only certain spots right now.
as for the fibre optic....i have heard "yes" but i have not had a confirmation from anyone who is involved.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Moonsocket, I am not sure exactly how it shall work, or the requirements necessary for wi-fi reception, at least not here at Memorial. I just know how my iBook links up with my Linksys wireless router (automatically). The router is on and when I first started up the iBook, it automatically recognized the wi-fi connection and the wireless mouse with Bluetooth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts