Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today something odd happened to me. I was listening to my 5th straight hour on my iPod and something that has never happened before occurred.

It skipped.

Heck, it even stuttered slightly.

I figured the age and abuse (it has been dropped more than once) it's understandable that it's tempermental...

But when I got home and plugged it into the G4 Laptop ('borrowed' from work, since mine is still in boxes awaiting my desk to be moved into the new place) I discovered something freaky-neat.

Instead of the flashing "no" symbol, a disk with a magnifying glass popped up. The disk imagery was animated to spin and a progress bar started slowly moving along the bottom.

It has self diagnostics? :eek:

The iPod hasn't yet "mounted" so I hope it's done soon.

But I'd never seen this before.

freaky-neat...

:cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Strongblade:

According to this Knowledge base document, it says that this is normal part of how the iPod works. If the iPod finds an issue when turned on, it uses internal diagnostics to check for and repair any damage to the hard disk.

Might want to make sure that any data on the iPod (not songs) is backed up....

John

Edit: fixed some grammatical problems

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True enough. Everything turned out fine (I had dropped it earlier in the day and that is probably what prompted it to do the diagnostic)

Since my home system is still offline (moving my crap keeps getting delayed...) When I plugged it into the work laptop (cuz UT2K3 was on there and I needed to try it out) I was concerned, but it's working fine. It had spent over 48 hours in my pocket without being hooked up to a system, so it caught me by surprise.

It's still freaky-neat. Cuz I never knew about the feature and it just showed itself...

iBuddy, the name of my iPod, is back in the peak of health, it would seem.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iBuddy the iPod

November 2001 - May 2003

Rest In Peace, my music-storing friend. You will be missed...

:(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Strongblade...tell me, please...tell me...tell me that iBuddy didn't...pass on?!?!?

If this is indeed the terrible terrible truth, I propose that the ehMac community as a whole have a moment of silence for the dearly departed.

-podboy

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Silence, shmilence!
That iPod is in the Great iTunes Music Store in the sky...rockin' its ass off!!!
:D

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Off to the big playlist in the sky, where, no doubt, it will play Elvis, John Lennon and George Harrison tracks in perpetuity.

Sorry for your loss SB...that's a doozy. Be sure to buy a Marware case with your next iPod (Son of iBuddy?)...it has lots of cushiony material to protect your investment.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Off to the big playlist in the sky, where, no doubt, it will play Elvis, John Lennon and George Harrison tracks in perpetuity.
Sounds like HELL to me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your support. Everyone.

It's like losing a family member... or my hearing. It's just so weird. Gazing into the lifeless screen of my iPod, frozen in time displaying the last command it could carry out...

Alas there is little hope. Plugging in the iPod produces absolutely no reaction. It doesn't appear on the desktop, no autolaunching of iTunes, and it doesn't show up in the iTunes sidebar.

I am going to let the power (it was at a full charge, so it will take a while) to run out completely and probably have an autopsy done on it.

All data was backed up already (I had done a return to factory conditions a few days earlier after the third incident of the disk checking internal utility kicked in) so no data is lost. Just the iPod.

Maybe I can ressurect it. Maybe it has passed on, but for now, it has been relegated to the role of $700 paperweight.

And a silence filled the room. Weeping quiet tears.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Premature Ressurection?

Well, after it ran out of juice, I plugged iBuddy in and Bickety-BAM it was back...

For about a day.

I met up with JohnnyG4 last night for a bit o wireless networking at a Second Cup. I drooled over his hardware (17" Powerbook AND a 30GB iPod.. The gods have smiled upon him...) and was pleased to see iBuddy quietly humming along.

I woke up this morning to a dead iPod.

Nothing on the screen and, since it's been plugged into my Work desktop, nary a blip on the monitor.

Although I suspect it was his 'last gasp' (and yes, all data was previously backed up) I will keep a close eye. He may only need a new HD to return to life again.

But opening up an iPod is not a task for the faint of heart. JG4 and I have seen within iBuddy before (A colleague and Apple Tech Guy showed us his internals once) and I have a fair bit of knowledge, but the specialized drives are not cheap.

I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts