Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm trying to figure out an application/terminal script that can forward all (that means everything ;)) my internet accessing tools (MSN, torrents, games, etc.) through HTTP.

I'm not sure if this is available in the proxy section of the system preferences, but since I'm clueless of how to set that up, I'm not going to play with it.

I'm running a MBP CD, 2.16/2GB/100GB and connecting to the internet through wireless.

I have tried using a torrent app with a port number of '80', however that doesn't seem to work. Is there more to HTTP then just the port number?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Since no one has replied I'll give it a try.

First of, yes there is a lot more to HTTP (or any protocol for that matter) than the port number.

Its not clear what you want to do but I think what you are trying to say is that you want to set up a proxy server between your MBP and The Internet. Well you *can* do that, but it involves a lot more than system preferences. The proxy pane on system preferences just allows you to *point* to a proxy server that you (or your company) have set up.

BTW the proxy server still has to talk the right protocol for whatever app you are running. HTTP is not the only thing you need (I'm not sure if torrent is HTTP based but I'm pretty sure MSN is not, for example)

Are we any closer?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work out for you, Sherman. Aside from your BitTorrent application, how are you expecting to change the port numbers in your other applications? MSN Messenger is hardcoded to use ports 6891-6901, and game ports are similarly difficult to configure.

I think you need to have a chat with your system administrator, to see if ports can be opened up on your firewall.

There is another option - SSH Tunnelling - but it requires full access to the remote system to configure. Google has some tutorials, but it's fairly complex to set up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MSN should be able to connect over HTTP. In Adium if you go to the account options there's a check box to connect over HTTP. I've never used the actual MSN client on OS X, but I imagine the setting is there as well since this means the MSN servers are set up to accept connections on port 80. I think Yahoo and other IM services can proxy over HTTP as well.

The problem with trying to do this with other protocols is that the other computer you're trying to connect to doesn't know to expect, say, your torrent connection on TCP port 80 so it will fail. That's why you need to use a proxy or SSH tunnel. The proxy is configured to accept all your incoming connections on port 80 (or 8080 or 443) then re-routes them to the appropriate address on the correct port depending on the protocol.

The other thing to consider is that if you can't connect to these services because your admin at work is blocking them, bypassing them might violate your acceptable use policy. At some companies this can be grounds for dismissal...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The problem is when I work at the library, they have blocked all but HTTP. This means I can't even SSH into my home server. The main problems were torrents/msn, as I like to have them passively running while I work/study.

Thanks headscan for that information about Adium - that works at least, so no more meebo.com for me. Still looking for a solution tot he torrents, are there any web based torrenting applications by any chance?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but other protocols are blocked for a reason.
Possibly because the library is paying by the Mb for internet access and they don't want to subsidize your music and movie downloads. Possibly for security reasons. Possibly because the Library doesn't want to be on the receiving end of a copyright violation suit. Something.

At any rate, you have probably agreed to some form of terms of use of that connection, and by circumventing the restrictions, you are likely breaking the terms of use.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

The problem is when I work at the library, they have blocked all but HTTP. This means I can't even SSH into my home server. The main problems were torrents/msn, as I like to have them passively running while I work/study.
You can definitely SSH into your home server. Before I bought my powerbook, back in my Windows XP days, it was pretty simple to get VNC working over any port after a little bit of googling. Take a look at this. Get VNC running and you can easily do bittorrent on your home server and msn on the local machine using the web messenger, or even on the remote machine if you do so desire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.