Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I'm running into more and more cases where force quit doesn't work.

I use the mac for a while, everything is fine and then eventually I get the spinning beachball. When I go to force quite using the keyboard commands, the window comes up, shows all the applications including the one "not responding".
I do a force quit on it and it dissapears from the force quit window - so it looks as if force quit works - but it doesn't.
When I try to start that application again, it doesn't respond and if I do a right click on the application in the dock, 'force quit' still shows up as an option.
If I do the force quit keyboard command again, the non responding application is back.
Seems to happen with all applications, I remember Camino, Mail and even the Finder with the same problem just recently.
The mac in this state will also not restart, I actually have to shut it down with the power button and restart that way to get out of this 'hung' state.

Anyone ever encounter this issue? What would be reasonable things to do to fix this?

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple of follow-up items.
Software is 10.4.10

Tried to verify start up disk from hard drive.
"Verify disk" would not run.
Started from OS X disk and verified start up drive. "verify disk" ran fine from DVD and gave the start up drive a clean bill of health.
Repaired permissions again - long list of repairs.
Ran repair permissions a second time - no repairs needed.
Now I'm booted up again - and I wonder if any of that helped

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Before giving up on Tiger altogether, I did discover that if indexing hung, it could take 5 to 10 minutes for force quit to open or the forces to take effect.

That was 10.4.4 not sure if that issue was limited to certain computers or if it was ever resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.