Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft has confirmed that the annoying 3-app limit on Windows 7 Starter Edition will be removed:

Microsoft to Remove 3 App Limit for Windows 7 Starter Edition | TopTenREVIEWS Blog

For all those who previously mocked the starter edition for being unusable due to this limitation, the jig is up. You can now run as many programs as your RAM will let you. However, at the same time, Microsoft has made it known that it will be impossible to change the background image on the Starter Edition, and that the Netbook edition of Windows 7 will have maximum specs to prevent people from using the cheaper version of Windows on full-blown PCs. No doubt service packs will be issued once netbooks become more powerful than some of today's budget PCs.

So much for feeling generous, but frankly I would rather run 6 applications simultaneously rather than change the kinda lame background picture. It's nice to see that Microsoft is actually listening to user feedback... for once.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I wouldn't know if it would be better to be stuck with 3 apps - or to be stuck with the cruddy default background. And "maximum specs"? Really, Windoze is such a bad performer that restricting it to slower machines will certainly lead to people wanting the 3 app limit instead.

I really think the Evil Empire dreamed up a loser with Fi$ta - and is trying anything in an attempt to keep people loyal to the cause with the hope of a decent OS. Of course, Micro$loth is totally incapable of writing a decent OS, so they have to pull these crazy shenanigans. Their time and effort would be better spend writing a GUI that could just run on top of a Linux kernel of some kind because, really, one day they will have to actually abandon their thirty year old ideas and get with the times.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Nice.

Special Beta Edition -- Correction

Because you signed up to test the Windows 7 Beta, we recently sent you mail about the expiration dates for the Beta and Release Candidate. Unfortunately, we made a mistake.

We said the Beta would start shutting down every two hours on June 1, 2009. The correct date is July 1, 2009.

The rest of the dates in the mail were correct. Here’s a quick summary:

Version/Starts shutting down every two hours/Expires

Beta/July 1, 2009/August 1, 2009

Release Candidate/March 1, 2010/June 1, 2010

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Sadly the reality on a netbook with tiny SSD is that Windows and Mac OS' are so bloated that they fill up the HD's so nothing else can be shoehorned in.

The current version of Ubuntu netbook remix 9.04 is the best way to go on a netbook.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Their time and effort would be better spend writing a GUI that could just run on top of a Linux kernel of some kind because, really, one day they will have to actually abandon their thirty year old ideas and get with the times.
Begging your pardon, but Linux is far worse than even Windows Vista could ever hope to be. Complex command-line installations (only about a third of applications I've seen have a graphical installer), unpredictable GUI behaviour, extremely limited program compatibility, poor device driver support and you can't even defragment the bloody file system. Remind me, how is this friendly for the common consumer?

Linux is a fine server OS, but I've seen it in action many, many times as a desktop OS... and it sucks.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about Suse? :D *Tapping foot...waiting for the don't get me started comment* ;)
My office actually uses SUSE Linux on its servers. From what I've seen, it's a great server OS. Have not seen the desktop version... would it change my opinion at all?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Begging your pardon, but Linux is far worse than even Windows Vista could ever hope to be. Complex command-line installations (only about a third of applications I've seen have a graphical installer), unpredictable GUI behaviour, extremely limited program compatibility, poor device driver support and you can't even defragment the bloody file system. Remind me, how is this friendly for the common consumer?

Linux is a fine server OS, but I've seen it in action many, many times as a desktop OS... and it sucks.
while i'm not a linux user, it seems to me that anyone I know using Linux is very intelligent on the coding side and handles it well. In fact, they love it.

I'm not saying it's better than windows or mac os....just a fact on the folks I know using it.

cheers,
keebler

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts

Not any more...... I'm running Ubuntu netbook remix on an AA1 with the 8gb SSD and a 16GB SDHC card in the left slot to get 24GB total. Now this is a pretty proprietary thing with Acer and the AA1 but Win7 didn't support it nor did Mac OS (but that makes sense). Ubuntu no sweat, the OEM flavour of Linux is Linpus btw and not Ubuntu.

Installation is totally graphical in nature, no cmd line. The entire interface including updates is graphical and with everything loaded in it uses just over 4GB of drive space. That includes Open Office, GIMP, a couple of web browsers, my proprietary email sw, a couple of pages of games, utilities, and lots and lots of other stuff for video and music.

The latest distro fixes some weird issues I had with the last version so yeah there is some tinkering but nothing serious.

K

·
Registered
56 Posts
My office actually uses SUSE Linux on its servers. From what I've seen, it's a great server OS. Have not seen the desktop version... would it change my opinion at all?
Lol nope :) My comment was meant to be a joke ;) Hence the "*Tapping foot...waiting for the don't get me started comment*" part :)

To be honest though, I do agree with your statement that Linux does make a fine server Operating System. It is fast, reliable, secure and scalable. As a desktop OS I feel that there is still some work that needs to be done if it is to be a viable alternative to Windows.

The beauty of Macintosh is that under the hood it has all the toys that us techno gurus love to play with. But it also has the elegance and simplicity that users new or faithful come to expect from Apple.

I miss working with z/OS though. I find mainframes to be very fascinating :) ...Random comment, yes I know, but we are talking about operating systems :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I miss working with z/OS though. I find mainframes to be very fascinating :) ...Random comment, yes I know, but we are talking about operating systems :)
I'll tell you what I miss: OS/2. Rock-solid, reliable, feature-rich and it had amazing potential. I remember hacking my OS/2 computer to run some Win32 applications. After WordPerfect for OS/2 was killed off, I got WordPerfect v.7 for Windows running on it, along with a few other applications. Imagine if IBM had pursued development and got nearly all Windows 9x applications working with OS/2. Then, today, we could actually have a real operating system.

Though I know it is very likely to never happen, I still dream about OS/3... :-(

·
Registered
581 Posts
Lol nope :)

One I don't miss is PrimeOS from Pr1me Computers, or System 370 VM/CMS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll tell you what I miss: OS/2. Rock-solid, reliable, feature-rich and it had amazing potential. I remember hacking my OS/2 computer to run some Win32 applications. After WordPerfect for OS/2 was killed off, I got WordPerfect v.7 for Windows running on it, along with a few other applications. Imagine if IBM had pursued development and got nearly all Windows 9x applications working with OS/2. Then, today, we could actually have a real operating system.

Though I know it is very likely to never happen, I still dream about OS/3... :-(
Hehe OS/2 was a popular choice back in the day for supporting the Information Technology infrastructure in financial institutions. Today I believe it is a combination of Windows and z/OS.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
I miss TOPS-20 on the old DEC mainframe in university...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts